1996 XJ diagnostic code 72 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1996 XJ diagnostic code 72

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-13-2006, 07:18 PM   #1
artboy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

1996 XJ diagnostic code 72

96XJ...check engine light came on last night while driving in the major snow storm here... pulling code #72.. catalytic converter circuit...the weird thing is I just took the XJ into the dealer for a recall repair (E22) about a week ago... they reprogrammed the PCM so it can detect a bad cat... Is it possible the cat was bad even though they said it was OK? if so, why did it take over a week for the CEL to go on? Is #72 something a bad O2 sensor would trigger?.... could the VERY deep wet snow have shorted something like the o2 sensor? Any advice is appreciated so I can go to the dealer with info.

My Pics
"life moves pretty fast... if you don't stop and look around once and awhile, you could miss it"...F. Bueller
artboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2006, 07:50 AM   #2
artboy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

bump back to the top...anyone?...anyone?
My Pics
"life moves pretty fast... if you don't stop and look around once and awhile, you could miss it"...F. Bueller
Unread 10-14-2006, 08:43 AM   #3
rob92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

The recall is to reprogram the PCM to detect a bad cat and the inspection of the cat is to make sure it is not rattleing. If it is or was rattleing then they would have replaced the cat-converter also. I've done about 40 of this recall in the past month.
The code should have had a "P" number the 72 is a hex code and really don't mean much but if it has a description then it has a meaning but we trouble shoot with the "P" codes.
I think it is more of a O2 sensor code as there are no electrial circuits in a cat converter.
rob92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2006, 09:39 AM   #4
artboy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

the onboard diagnostic flashed a 72... the description is bad catalytic converter circuit...I am also assuming it is a bad O2 sensor... guess i'll have to wait to get it scanned to find out exactly what is going on
My Pics
Unread 09-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
jeepgirl08

Bumpity... I also have this code on my 1997 XJ. More specifically, it's reading P0420.

Any other ideas what this could be other than the 02 sensors? That's our first route but I always like a Plan B
jeepgirl08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.