1996 Jeep Cherokee will not start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1996 Jeep Cherokee will not start

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-24-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
Bossman85
1996 XJ Cherokee 

1996 Jeep Cherokee will not start

I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee and it will not start.

I was having to start in a neutral sometimes. the other day i was backing up and the jeep cut out. Cranked back up. then cut out again. Cranked back up. then cut out again. then Cranked back up and was fine.

Next day Cranked up. then cut out again. Cranked up and was OK. Turned it off the cut grass for about 45min. Cranked up. When i was driving it cut out while going throw a intersection. good for me it Cranked back up. Worked fine the rest of the day in tell the radiator got a hole and was leaking bad. filled it with water to get it home. At red lights would turn it off and it Crank back up. In tell that last light, cut it off and it would not crank for about 5-10mins. Keep trying to get it started. it started and got home.

(when it would not start the light inside and door buzzer worked. The panel to the left were the check engine light and seat belt light and washer fluid light are dose not come on)

Next day replace the radiator. started the jeep and idle for 10-20 mins no problem. did not drive no were.

Today it crank up and put it in gear and cut out. turned the key nothing but

(when it would not start the light inside and door buzzer worked. The panel to the left were the check engine light and seat belt light and washer fluid light are dose not come on)

Got online and was looking at some other post and some one was saying the neutral safety switch. Tried that but know the inside light and door buzzer still work and the panel to the left comes on. But the thing will not crank.

I can here the fuel pump come on and advance auto checked the started(OK). Battery has 12.5v.

Bossman85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman85 View Post
I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee and it will not start.

I was having to start in a neutral sometimes. the other day i was backing up and the jeep cut out. Cranked back up. then cut out again. Cranked back up. then cut out again. then Cranked back up and was fine.

Next day Cranked up. then cut out again. Cranked up and was OK. Turned it off the cut grass for about 45min. Cranked up. When i was driving it cut out while going throw a intersection. good for me it Cranked back up. Worked fine the rest of the day in tell the radiator got a hole and was leaking bad. filled it with water to get it home. At red lights would turn it off and it Crank back up. In tell that last light, cut it off and it would not crank for about 5-10mins. Keep trying to get it started. it started and got home.

Next day replace the radiator. started the jeep and idle for 10-20 mins no problem. did not drive no were.

Today it crank up and put it in gear and cut out. turned the key nothing but

Got online and was looking at some other post and some one was saying the neutral safety switch. Tried that but know the inside light and door buzzer still work and the panel to the left comes on. But the thing will not crank.

I can here the fuel pump come on and advance auto checked the started(OK). Battery has 12.5v.
Neutral safety switch does nothing more than make sure that vehicle starts ONLY in park or neutral. Once the engine is running, the Neutral safety switch is a moot issue.

The Crank Postion Sensor will do some strange things when it starts to go South. I would do a search on this...
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

My hands are still greasy from swapping mine today....

A month or so ago, My jeep would crank, but not start. First thing I noticed was that the tach was not bobbing while cranking. I jiggled a bunch of wires, got it running, and forgot about it.

Yesterday on the way to work I was losing spark randomly, and stalled 8 times on the way to work. Once I got to work and had time to play with it, it would not start at all. Basically it would start if completely cold, and then run fine up to operating temp, and then just die without a whimper. Had to leave the rig at work and bus it home. After swapping the CPS (and rerouting the wire so it was not touching the exhaust), it runs great again.

If this sounds like what you are experiencing, totally get that CPS replaced. Leaving it at work was the worst feeling ever. Mine cost $35 from oreilly. Find someone with small hands to help you, since the bolts are a huge pain to get to.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
Bossman85
1996 XJ Cherokee 

CPS = Crank Postion Sensor Right

is there any way to test it to see if it is bad OR do you have to replace it and see.
Unread 03-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
CPS = Crank Postion Sensor Right

is there any way to test it to see if it is bad OR do you have to replace it and see.
Search button is your friend........
Unread 03-24-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
Bossman85
1996 XJ Cherokee 

everything looks ok lights and everything else comes on but starter is not doing nothing. pulled the wire throw and hooked up starter on the top side to see if would spin or something. nothing, act like it had no power getting to it. did check power to the starter and there is power getting down there.
Unread 03-25-2011, 04:58 AM   #7
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

With the key in the ON position, you should have approximately FULL battery voltage directly at the starter.

If you do have that voltage, replace your starter. If you do NOT have that voltage, you need to start working your way back to find out why. Neutral safety switch is a big suspect here, as well as a connection issue with a battery cable, a flaky ground (freshen all engine grounds), etc.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 06:21 AM   #8
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
everything looks ok lights and everything else comes on but starter is not doing nothing. pulled the wire throw and hooked up starter on the top side to see if would spin or something. nothing, act like it had no power getting to it. did check power to the starter and there is power getting down there.
Are you having problems with more than one issue? It sounds like to are saying that you have had problems getting engine to crank for a while and that you have suspected a faulty Neutral safety switch........ this would have nothing to do with enging dying once started.... or with engine cranking, but not starting, or running funky at times. A Crank Postion Sensor would be a prime suspect for these issues. As far as the turning key and getting no crank, try moving the shifter around a little, or even pulling it into neutral then trying to start the engine. If this doesn't work, take a wrench & tap starter while friend turns key, or simply pull starter and let Auto Zone test it for free.
Unread 03-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
Bossman85
1996 XJ Cherokee 

UPDATE

Starters is Good took it to Advance Auto
Replaced CPS.

Sill nothing, lights and everything else looks OK. Still not turning over or nothing. dead silence.
Unread 03-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #10
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
UPDATE

Replaced CPS.

Sill nothing, lights and everything else looks OK. Still not turning over or nothing. dead silence.
Did you move the shifter around? Try starting it in Neutral? Does your RPM guage jump wildly when you turn key?
Unread 03-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
UPDATE

Replaced CPS.

Unplug the ECU and clean the contacts.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #12
95JeepFactory
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Every so often i will have the same thing happen to my Cherokee,
When you turn the key to start does the dash and lights dim? If not then there is some sort of fault in the circuit or the ignition switch is out of alignment and possibly broken all together.
95JeepFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #13
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

You mention that you sometimes had to start in neutral. This absolutely begs of a neutral safety switch problem.

The crankshaft position sensor has nothing to do with the actual "starting/cranking" circuit. A bad crank sensor will in now way inhibit the starter from doing it's job. But now you have a new crank sensor and won't have to worry about that for a while.

It really looks like you have a NSS issue. Follow my specific instructions in reply 7. I have diagnosed this issue more times than I care to relate.

Verifying voltage at the starter with the key in the ON position is critical to a good diagnosis!

Click on this link. In it, there is a procedure to bypass the NSS. If bypassing the NSS allows the engine to start, you have the smoking gun proof that the NSS is the culprit.

http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neut...ty-switch-nss/
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
Bossman85
1996 XJ Cherokee 

UPDATE

Took NSS off and Cleaned is. Put it back on sunday and fired right up.

THANKS for everyones help.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.