1996 Jeep Cherokee Starter problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1996 Jeep Cherokee Starter problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 11-12-2006, 04:32 PM   #1
Duff750

1996 Jeep Cherokee Starter problem

Got a 1996 Jeep Cherokee inline 6...Girlfriend's vehicle, out of nowhere the starter just quit workin. I don't know a whole hell of a lot about workin on 4 wheeled vehicles, so I thought I'd come here in search of answers. Turn the key and get nothin...can't hear the relay can't hear the solenoid clickin', and of course the starter is not flyin. Where might I begin lookin' for the problem?

Duff750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 04:43 PM   #2
Duff750

Need to get this fixed ASAP...any input would be greatly appreciated
Unread 11-12-2006, 04:51 PM   #3
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Be patient. Sometimes it takes a couple of hours for someone to reply. It could be a bad starter itself. When mine went bad, it wouldnt click either. It also could be your Neutral Safety Switch. Its job is to disable the starter when the shifter is in reverse or drive. When it goes bad, it wont let it start in any gear. I dont know how to clean it, or replace it though. Try tapping on the starter with a mallett, it could be stuck. Good Luck.
88XJSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 04:54 PM   #4
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

First off check the easy stuff. Make sure the battery terminals arent corroded and that they are tight, if thats not the case tap the starter with a mallet or hammer and see if that will cause it to crank over. Also try starting in nuteral to see if its the NSS like stated above.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 04:54 PM   #5
Duff750

Doesn't have a neutral safety switch. That year can be started without the clutch down and in gear if you wanted to. If it were the starter itself, it would most likely be a siezed pulley or somethin' if the solenoid's not clickin'...in which case I would think the lights would be dimming when you hit the starter, but that's not the case. Appreciate the feedback though
Unread 11-12-2006, 04:59 PM   #6
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Yes i think if it was a siezed starter, the lighs would dim. Maybe ignition switch? Not sure on that though You are right there is no NSS on a manual, other than that, Im stumped.
88XJSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 05:02 PM   #7
Duff750

Hmm..just had a thought, any idea if there's a starter relay fuse in the interior fuse box?
Unread 11-12-2006, 05:56 PM   #8
Duff750

Found and checked all the fuses and relays...all seems to be well with that. So I'm guessing solenoid for sure...but a minor problem, as I said I'm not too savvy on 4-wheeled vehicles...so where might one go about finding the solenoid and how do I test it?
Unread 11-12-2006, 07:36 PM   #9
jeepinarkansas
1982 CJ8 

take it to autozone and they will test it for free.
jeepinarkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 08:47 PM   #10
kencaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff750
Found and checked all the fuses and relays...all seems to be well with that. So I'm guessing solenoid for sure...but a minor problem, as I said I'm not too savvy on 4-wheeled vehicles...so where might one go about finding the solenoid and how do I test it?
How did you check the relay? Do you hear it when you turn the key to "Start" Check for 12V on either pin #85 or #86 (one is ground), with the key in the "Start" position...

Also you can jump pins #30 & #87 in the relay socket and it should turn the starter over reguardless of key position. If it starts then your relay, (or posibly ignitions switch) is bad.

KC

"I say we dust-off and nuke the site from orbit... It's the only way to be sure!"
kencaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2006, 07:01 AM   #11
Herdfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff750
Doesn't have a neutral safety switch. That year can be started without the clutch down and in gear if you wanted to. If it were the starter itself, it would most likely be a siezed pulley or somethin' if the solenoid's not clickin'...in which case I would think the lights would be dimming when you hit the starter, but that's not the case. Appreciate the feedback though

Yes, they do.

1996 XJ Stock, K&N drop in, Tach Gauge Swap
Herdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2006, 07:41 AM   #12
anony91xj

First, test the battery. Not with a voltmeter, do a proper test with a tester that can put a load on the battey and check the CCA's. A car battery can put out 12v but not enough amps to turn the engine over. Also, make sure the connections there are good and tight.

If that's OK, have a friend hold the key in the START position while you check for power at the starter trigger wire with a voltmeter or test light. If you've got power there, replace the starter.
Unread 11-13-2006, 10:55 AM   #13
Duff750

Talkin' out of my language man lol. Like I said above, TOTAL newb at this kinda thing. Give me a bike and I'll fix it, give me a jeep and I'll stand there and stare at it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.