1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport: Door/ Trunk lock cylinder - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-04-2016, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
mattd213

1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport: Door/ Trunk lock cylinder

Been having an issue for a while with my door lock cylinder sticking. If I lock my doors I have to jiggle the key around until it lets me unlock my doors. This can be a huge pain since it can take anywhere from immediately to 30 minutes to get into my car (it's happened). Because of this I almost never lock my doors and have just had to replace my stereo system and bezel because the bezel was destroyed when a thief stole the aftermarket stereo out of my car!
As for the trunk, It has never worked since I've owned the vehicle. ..So... I would like to replace. I've got an aftermarket RF keyless entry on the way but I'm also looking for replacement lock cylinders or a fix for both the door and Trunk hatch. Has anyone ever done this?
If there isn't a fix but you know of a replacement, advanced auto doesn't sell them for this model, amazon sells them separately and I would rather not have three different bulky keys for the ignition, trunk, and doors on my keychain.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-04-2016, 04:01 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

A locksmith can re-key the locks to match any key. Or, you can stop by the junkyard and see if you can find a set of good locks with a key.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-04-2016, 05:30 PM
getterdun

Here's a link that might help: http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/jee...84AHAF1NJDTNPJ

I would take the driver's door apart and try to see what's wrong; same for trunk.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-05-2016, 11:22 AM
getterdun

On further reflection I think that the driver's lock mechanical linkage must be being restricted. If you have not yet sprayed lubricant into it with the door open, do that first. If that doesn't help, I would take the door apart to find out what's wrong. But, having done this a few times, I would plan on it taking a day or so because that's what it usually takes me to figure things out.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-06-2016, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
mattd213

I tried that today and it does seemed to have helped with the drivers side door. It still sticks at first but it's much better. As for the passenger side and trunk hatch.. ..nada. Won't work at all. I'm taking it to a locksmith service to get it looked at tomorrow.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-17-2016, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
mattd213

After a while it's basically been fixed.. I honestly believe it's the locking actuator on the drivers side since that is the only door I had trouble with. It's the stock motor so it's more than likely just shot. I sprayed White Lithium Grease into the lock cylinder and wd40 into the edges of the lock lever. Over time, my keyless entry locks it every time, and my key hasn't had any trouble locking or unlocking the doors. I can still feel the key strarting to stick but the grease has more than likely loosened up the tumbler to the point where its almost flawless. As for the hatch, nada... still doesn't work but I can live with it for now.

Tags
1996 , cherokee , door , lock , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.