1996 head light/tail light problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1996 head light/tail light problem

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread Yesterday, 01:53 AM   #1
kansaiguy

1996 head light/tail light problem

Hello all,
I have a 96 Cherokee Sport. I recently replaced the head light bulbs. I had intended to replace the housing as well but they didn't fit so I just replaced the bulb. Afterwards, the instrument panel lights and tail lights don't work but the headlights work fine. I have read through all the posts I can find and will check the fuses under the dash this evening but in the meantime I have a couple of other questions.
1. I can't find a picture of a headlight housing similar to mine on here or any other page. My housing has a central halogen bulb which I replaced but also a small bulb below it which is pushed in through a hole in the rubber dust cover. The housing also has two prongs coming out of it which are connected to a blue and a black wire. This is unlike any other pictures I've seen. I removed these wires because I was going to replace the whole housing but when I reconnected them I couldn't tell which wire went to which post. Do you have any advice on that? Also, would reversing them somehow have blown the fuse but allowed the headlights to still work?

2. People mention that the relay may be blown. I can't find a picture of where the relay is located. Does anyone have advice for that?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by kansaiguy; Yesterday at 01:54 AM.. Reason: spelling
kansaiguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.