1996 Cherokee, won't even try to start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1996 Cherokee, won't even try to start

LJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off RoadEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-17-2010, 08:13 AM   #1
tiber
1996 XJ Cherokee 

1996 Cherokee, won't even try to start

Hi all.

My wife has a 1996 jeep cherokee. I'd hate to part with it because I've put a decent amount of work in it (junkyard ressurection - totalled on front end damage as it was filled with BBQ) but this one has me stumped. It USED to start when we turned the key. One day, my wife drove it to wawa, came out, and suddenly it's not even trying to start. I searched around here and ran across the thread about the NSS: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/j...ml#post4530299

I believe I have the correct plug, being above the oil filter in a group of three other plugs. However every illustration I have shows this being eight holes, I only have seven and a blank. I disconnected it and shoved a paperclip in there and I've got no success. Is this the correct plug by my description of the location and pinout? Is this the correct way to jumper this or should I actually cut the insulation off the wires? (Her backup lights worked, so I suspect this isn't the neutral safety switch).

I also opened the fuse box and swapped the starter relay with the fuel pump relay. Still no go. I have checked the fuses, none of them are blown. I do not have the cover to the fusebox under the dash, unfortunately, if someone could send me a decent picture of the disgram I would appreciate it as I haven't pulled any of those yet.

I also looked for something which would be the contacts to the starter to jump it from the battery. From other people's description I should see something near the battery. I have no idea what I'm looking for but I didn't see anything which stood out as obviously connect to the starter. Throw me a clue?

tiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

1) Does the starter engage, make the starter sound, and cause the engine to turn ?
2) Does the starter not engage and you only hear a clicking sound ?
3) When you turn the key does nothing happen and you hear no sounds ?
4) Does the engine sputter and try to run, or does it not run at all ?
5) Does the engine start and run normally for a a few seconds and then die ?

Answer yes/no to all.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 05:21 AM   #3
tiber
1996 XJ Cherokee 

1 - no
2 - no. Starter doesn't attempt to engage.
3 - turning the key results in everything coming on except the engine. The battery was what I first suspected. Its good. Radio, headlights work and the dash lights up. Annoying headlight buzzer is in fantastic condition.
4 & 5 - no, the engine does not attempt to crank or engage. Its definitely either the starter or something preventing the starter from turning.

Thanks for the reply.
Unread 11-18-2010, 06:44 AM   #4
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

The NSS is a possibility here.

Try wiggling the shift lever while turning the key or try starting in neutral. If either of these techniques work, you have an NSS problem.

If you get stuck, proceed like this. Get a meter. With the key in the ON position, check for voltage directly at the starter. If you have approximately full battery voltage at the starter, the problem is the starter. If you have no voltage, the NSS and also the ignition switch are in play.

Here is a link to an article on a procedure that may restore function to the NSS and how to bypass it in an emergency (not recommended otherwise).

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
Solomon7
1996 XJ Cherokee 

When you first turn the key to ON do you hear the fuel pump buzz/prime for a sec in back?
If no then probably the Crankshaft Position Sensor on the bell housing of the trans about 11 o'clock from the front. Real fun to change. If the CPS isn't functioning, pump won't work, nor will key or starter. Not at all. Everything else/lights, radio etc. will be fine.
Solomon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
98Rubiclone
1997 ZJ 

Agree with walker.... Mine would only start in Neutral for a while.. Try that and see how it works for ya..
98Rubiclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon7 View Post
If the CPS isn't functioning, pump won't work, nor will key or starter. Not at all. Everything else/lights, radio etc. will be fine.
Not true. The crankshaft position sensor is not involved with the starter/cranking circuit. It is completely separate from the circuit that cranks the engine.

If the crank sensor is bad, the engine will turn over until the cows come home.

It just won't "START"

Also, depending on how the crank sensor fails, you may or may not have fuel pump function. I have seen it both ways a number of times.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 05:20 AM   #8
tiber
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the replies.

I figured out the solenoid was on the starter which is a WTF of design choices. I ended up jumpering the solenoid with my channellocks and nothing happened. I pulled the old starter, slapped a remanufactured one in and she turned right over. Surely someone sells a cover which goes over this thing?
Unread 11-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
tozier9

This just happened to me today with my 96. Tapped on the starter with a hammer and it started right up.
Unread 11-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #10
tozier9

So just fixed my starter.

Followed this thread: Get to know your starter..... - Jeep Cherokee Forum xjTalk

And shes working great again. I did not even replace the starter solenoid.

Oh and I put the starter on the jeep in 0 degree weather, also its a blizzard outside here in montana

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.