1996 Cherokee Sport 4.0 6cyl lift suggestions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1996 Cherokee Sport 4.0 6cyl lift suggestions

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 09-27-2006, 10:43 AM   #1
lukemodrow

1996 Cherokee Sport 4.0 6cyl lift suggestions

I have a 1996 Cherokee Sport 4.0 6cyl. Everything on it is pretty much stock. I would like to throw a 4.5"- 5" lift on it, but I have no idea where to start. I'm fairly new to the Jeep world, so anyone that can suggest anything would help.

Questions:
1. What is the rule of thumb when you install a lift?... for example, if you install a 4.5" you need to also replace ___. etc....
2. What can I expect to pay said and done?
3. What are some unexpecteds that people have run into in the past that would be nice to know?
4. I am very mechanically inclined, but I haven't done much automotive work. This looks to be a fairly big job, so would you suggest I do it myself or get it installed for me? If getting it installed for me is the route to go, what should I expect to spend?

Like I said before, anything helps... Thanks again to anyone who posts answers for a rookie in need...

Later,
Luke

lukemodrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2006, 10:51 AM   #2
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Mall crawler or off road rig?
Unread 09-27-2006, 11:03 AM   #3
lukemodrow

Mall Crawler?... if you mean grocery getter, yes. It is 4x4, but I wouldn't call it a off road rig yet. That's what the main reason for the post is, to make it a decent off road rig. Any suggestions on lift projects you've done would be great. Thanks again.
Unread 09-27-2006, 11:04 AM   #4
gregmondro

SYE or T-Case drop (SYE is the preferred one, you can also do a Hack and Tap which i'd recommend if you want to save some cash).

Adjustable Trackbar (may or may not come with lift depending on what/where you buy from)

Proper length control arms for your lift (not a problem if you're buying the lift complete)

Regearing if you plan on adding larger tires to compliment the lift

Just a few things to consider.
99 Jeep XJ - NP231, SYE, 4.56's, Rear D44 w/ Detroit SoftLocker and a RockCrusher Diff Cover, 35x12.5 BFG A/Ts, RE 5.5" XD Lift, Skidrow TC Skid, ORT Rear Bumper + Carrier, Rigidco Front Winch Bumper + Steering Box Plate, Milemarker 8000 Winch, Rock Sliders, HD Currie Steering, Control Arm Skids, Goferit Tie Rod Flip Insert, Optima Red Top and a few other goodies...
FiveZeroFive
XJ 8.25 Rear End Disc Brake Conversion For Sale!
gregmondro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2006, 11:32 AM   #5
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Rubicon Express is a good brand and a few of the forum vendors offer discounts to members. You might also want to look into Full Traction and Rock Krawler. It just depends on what you expect the rig to do. Count on spending the money for an SYE and new rear drive shaft as well as a front and rear ring and pinion, plus installation. Once you get around 33s, tire start to get spendy, so count on 5 of those as an expense.

All told, count on something in the neighborhood of $4500+.
Unread 09-27-2006, 11:39 AM   #6
lukemodrow

Thanks for responding Greg. I appreciate the suggestions!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.