Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

1996 Cherokee Lift Advise

2K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  jkbmkiii 
#1 ·
Hey everybody, new to the Jeep Forum and I need some Help.
A Little Back Ground on the Jeep
This is my wifes DD for the next year and a half until my Mustang is paid off, and then we plan on trying to acquire a used SRT8 Cherokee as the family wagon!(then the xj gets to work for me haling parts everywhere!) We do have two young daughters as well so, keeping the Jeep safe is the key. The jeep takes maybe two camping trips a year and only mild
4wheeling takes place(The jeep sit's plenty high now to get there!), so the lift will be used for looks and thats pretty much it!( +Snow in CO!)

1996 Jeep Cherokee with a h.o 4.0 and auto transmission.

I recently picked up a set of factory Wheels and tires off of a 2008 JK Rubicon .Tires are BFG MUDs 255/75r 17 (5k miles). So yes I know I will need wheel adapters for the wheels and I know that even with spacers I cant just run these tires w/o getting a lift of some sort.

So my questions are, is it necessary to lift 3.5 " to fit these tires? When I measure the tires with a tape I get right under 32" of tire but everyone calls them 33" tires? Like i said before I don't need a crazy off road set up just want a nice looking DD thats good down the highway and handles as close to the way it was before, so what is the best and affordable lift set up??(Don't want a add a leaf kit). As far as spacers what is a good spacer size as they seem to vary, also if the inner fender flairs have to be trimmed Iam not worried about it!

Anybody else done this same thing?? Pictures of the final product??

Thanks for any help!

See less See more
#2 ·
If your willing to trim front and rear, you wont have to go as high(or at all if you trim/bumpstop enough ;) )

With the comment on "handles as close to the way it was before", and the idea you might want a quality kit, look at Old Man Emu kits(give Dirk a call at DPGoffroad.com), it along with some trimming will fit the tires. But to continue on that note, you will want to regear for the larger tires to retain the stock performance. 4.10's would be a good choice in gears for the 32" tire.
Recovery is also something to think about, especially if your out camping with the family and get stuck, then need a strap.

Oh btw Welcome!

#3 ·
i would get some zj coils and a 2 inch spacer for the front. as for the back new leafs will be the only way if you dont want an aal. you can get ome full 3 inch packs for a decent price too. of course you will need longer shocks and to extend your brake lines. also its possible you will need a SYE and to redrill your trackbar mount.

#4 ·
Thanks for the Ideas guys, forgot to mention that I do have a new set of rancho 5000 in the boxes as well but was not sure if they would work with lifts per the cherokee? I was kinda hoping to do a 2" lift and the spacers to offset the wheels a little, use the ranchos and just trim...... How much trimming are we talking about ? PICS??

#5 ·
that sounds like a pretty good plan, but if you dont wanna drop the money for ome full packs, get new HD packs from quadratec and put a long aal on them. that would give you the lift you're looking for for cheaper.

#12 ·
Tell that to the Wife & kids, when you stuck in the middle of nowhere.:thumbdown: At least get a fuel tank & X-fer case skid. Can't go anywhere with a hole in either. Also some rock rails, they keep the rockers in good shape.

As for recovery: Get a strap (with no hooks) so somebody can help you out if needed. Maybe a heavy duty come-a-long or a Hi-Lift jack, both can be used to winch yourself out. Tow hooks out front & a hitch in the back & you are set. JIM.

#15 · (Edited)
Ive taken 2wd rangers in the same place that we go camping at with no problems, so again I say the Lift is for looks not wheeling. I live at the drag strip with my cars, camping is for the family and it is camping not wheeling. So put all the skid plates and other stuff on your truck that you want, I am just looking for advise on fitments of my new wheels and tires that require a lift.

Look at what you posted -

"Tell that to the Wife & kids, when you stuck in the middle of nowhere. At least get a fuel tank & X-fer case skid. Can't go anywhere with a hole in either. Also some rock rails, they keep the rockers in good shape. "

"As for recovery: Get a strap (with no hooks) so somebody can help you out if needed. Maybe a heavy duty come-a-long or a Hi-Lift jack, both can be used to winch yourself out. Tow hooks out front & a hitch in the back & you are set. JIM."

Did you read the first post?:brickwall

#16 · (Edited)
On a different note what about a shackle and block kit for the rear and spring spacers for the front? Worth it for on road capability's? With a three inch lift and 17" Rubicon wheels, 255/75r tires what size wheel adapter would be ideal? I still cant find any pics of how much trimming would be needed either?

#17 ·
even though you may not be going off road and flexing much, i'd still try and stay away from the blocks at least, and if you can help it, shackles too.

other than the full packs, the next best thing is a long aal on a brand spankin new set of qtec HD leafs.

however, since your rig wont see much hardcore offroading, i'd say go for the shackles, but not more than 2 inches...

spacer are fine for the front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.