1996 Cherokee Front Brake question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1996 Cherokee Front Brake question?

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
burdman
1996 XJ Cherokee 

1996 Cherokee Front Brake question?

Hey All,
So I have a rookie brake question; I'm replacing my pads & rotors on my 1996 Cherokee and just read some info on the removal/install and it says that a C-Clamp is needed to compress caliper pistons and remove/install new pads?

I haven't done a brake job myself in about 10-15years, so I didn't even think about this when I bought the new pads/rotors last night and I don't have a C-clamp.
Before I get started, am I going need a C-clamp to do this work or is it possible to do the work without one?

I don't want to start pulling everything off and then realize that I don't have proper tools and then have no way to get to the store.

Appreciate feedback.

Cheers-
Scott

burdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
xj-jake
1999 XJ Cherokee 

A C-clamp is best because you can apply even pressure to the center of the caliper piston and get it pushed back in evenly. I've used a big adjustable pliers before it worked fine. Worst case scenario you can use a big screwdriver to push it back in by putting the caliper back in place and prying against the rotor.
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
burdman
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Jake for reply. Yeah, I figured it was best to go grab a c-clamp from the store, since I don't own a good pair of pliers. Also grabbed some brake cleaner and now just need to let it cool down a bit, so I can get at it. Hoping it all goes well.
burdman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.