1996 Cherokee Classic Anti-Theft Chip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1996 Cherokee Classic Anti-Theft Chip

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
tobywan19

1996 Cherokee Classic Anti-Theft Chip

My 15 year old son was lucky to receive a 1996 Jeep Cherokee as a gift from a neighbor as his first car.

We are having a problem with the Jeep not starting intermittently. We suspect that it is the anti-theft key fob chip located near the steering column. It fits very loose in the chip slot. When we try to crank it, all lights and and buzzers come to life but when we turn the key...nothing. No firing at all.

I'm wondering what's the best way to bypass this feature altogether. Theft is not an issue he is going to be dealing with.

Thanks in advance for any info.

tobywan19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Explain further.

When you turn the key does the starter engage, make the starter sounds, and crank the engine, or does the starter not engage/turn at all ?

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
klink
1996 XJ Cherokee 

PosSibly check you battery connector cables. Had something like this happen and turned out thats what i needed. Only cost me sixty bucks for both labor and parts.
klink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobywan19 View Post
My 15 year old son was lucky to receive a 1996 Jeep Cherokee as a gift from a neighbor as his first car.

We are having a problem with the Jeep not starting intermittently. We suspect that it is the anti-theft key fob chip located near the steering column. It fits very loose in the chip slot. When we try to crank it, all lights and and buzzers come to life but when we turn the key...nothing. No firing at all.

I'm wondering what's the best way to bypass this feature altogether. Theft is not an issue he is going to be dealing with.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Yes there is a way to do it. My brother did it to his Oldsmobile. He added a diode to the in the ignition wire. He used a multi meter to read something on the key. I will have to aske him what he read. Then he purchased Diodes for the match. After that he use a normal key to start the engine.
But before that I will look a at the NSS or the ignition switch. NSS would be were I start, do the back up lights work all the time?
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
ECL
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The GM system was called Pass Key and the chip was a resistor, not a diode. First time the car was started (at the factory), the computer "learned" the resistance. If any other resistance was measured during a start, the computer would shut off power to the starter relay.
The problem was that the contacts inside the ignition switch would wear down over time and not always make contact. This would cause a "different" resistance which the computer would interpret as an attempted theft. A 3 minute timer was also programed in such that every time it sensed the differt resistance, even if you jiggled the key, you were still locked out (and just reset the timer).
I had a '94 Buick that became hit or miss. Thanks to various GM forums, I learned all of this. Then I measured the resistance of my key, got a resistor of the same impedance, cut the wires under the dash and soldered it in. Problem solved.
Is the Jeep system the same? I have no idea - I didn't even know Jeep had an anti-theft system!
ECL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
tobywan19

Thanks for all the info. Turned out it was a dealer installed 3rd party piece-of-crap anti-theft system. It had a shoddy connection that was letting the engine turn at times and not at other times.

I took it to a local Car Audio/Security Alarm dealer (Elite Audio, Spartanburg, SC) and they removed the system for $40. Jeep cranks with no problem now.

He's well on his way to becoming a Jeep lover himself now.
tobywan19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
1996 , anti-theft , cherokee , chip , jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.