1995 Jeep Cherokee...just puked power steering fluid everywhere.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1995 Jeep Cherokee...just puked power steering fluid everywhere..

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 03-15-2008, 06:21 AM   #1
Spanishfly

1995 Jeep Cherokee...just puked power steering fluid everywhere..

As usual, my wife was driving.. not her fault, but why does it never happen when I am behind the wheel?? Anyway, there is power steering fluid everywhere. So, I figured the best way to find where it was coming from, was to refill the pump, and start her up!! It came from the filler cap. It was very aerated, and the pump was making some strange noises.So...I guess I need a new pump...any comments or advice as to the best way to fix this, apart from a new pump?
Thanks
Nick

Spanishfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
Crystalship1
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I'm pretty sure they are generally non rebuild-able. I'd say a new one or one from a bone-yard.

Good luck!!
1997 Gunmetal Blue XJ Sport - 4.0 L. I6 - 4 Dr. - 4x4 - 1.75" BB
Crystalship1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2008, 06:51 AM   #3
Spanishfly

Thanks!! errr...I think!
Nick
Unread 03-15-2008, 08:08 AM   #4
tcc9mpl
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i thought id link my recent thread about replacing the power steering pump incase you might need it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/power-steering-major-leak-after-grinding-noise-527070/
tcc9mpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2008, 08:43 AM   #5
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'd replace the lines while you're at it. The high pressure line is about $20 at a parts store and the return line is just clamped on so you could probably get way with using a piece of tranny hose.

The high pressure line can be a PITA to get out of the steering box. I had to cut the metal line and use a socket to get it loose.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #6
Spanishfly

Thanks to you all!!great link there TCC9MPL!! Well, I took the pump off, and the bearing is worn..must have just suddenly quit. Easy job to get it off...not so easy to find a secondhand or cheap new one here in Spain They only imported the 4 cylinder diesel version, and that pump is different anyway..
Nick
Unread 03-27-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
Spanishfly

Got the pump rebuilt, put it on tonight, bled it..and bled it...and bled it..Started the engine, turned the wheel, and it screeches, when I turn the wheel. Not when the steering is in repose. Checked the fluid, and it was at the right level, but very aerated. I have left it to stand overnight, hoping it is just air in the fluid..
Nick
Unread 03-29-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
Tallpaul
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have almost the same problem except mine did not shoot fluid everywhere. 95 XJ, 4.0. Pump started whining, replaced it last night. I bled the system per the Haynes manual and got nothing but foamy fluid, stiff steering and more whining. The instructions with the pump said to disconnect the return line and spin the motor over, without starting, until clear fluid came from the return.

I cannot get any returning fluid at all. I am thinking the steering box is bad, any other advice?

Thanks

Last edited by Tallpaul; 03-29-2008 at 05:50 PM..
Tallpaul is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #9
Tallpaul
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Update: With the return disconnected and the engine runnig I get fluid from the return but it's still foamy and there seems to be no pwer assist at the steering wheel.

The pump is working as when I disconnect the pressure line with the engine running I get fluid.
Unread 04-07-2008, 08:31 AM   #10
Spanishfly

Sorry you are having this problem too. My pump was rebuilt, and I fitted it, filled it with fluid, and then bled it WITh the engine running first time, but without trying to turn the steering wheel.It started to work, but it was still very foamy. I left it overnight, to let the air all rise to the reservoir. When I went to look next morning,the liquid was clear, so I started her up, and turned the wheel. It still squawked and squeaked, but not so much, and the fluid became foamy again. So, I topped it up, started the engine, and taking about 20 seconds each time, I turned the wheel from lock to lock, about 5 times.Turned it off, and waited. Did it again 20 minutes later, and it was 90% ok. Then I drove the jeep for 10 minutes, and it just sorted itself out, and is now running perfectly. It is a biotch to get all the air out of the system, but it does in the end. patience is the key!
Good luck
Nick
Unread 04-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #11
Tallpaul
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the encouragement. I replaced the steering box and still have the problem. I have tried every method I can think of to get it bled. My thought was to try a second pump, but will try bleeding one more time.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.