1995 Jeep Cherokee belt noise Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1995 Jeep Cherokee belt noise Help

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-28-2005, 03:47 PM   #1
mcgratht

1995 Jeep Cherokee belt noise Help

I am selling my 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport and go figure 2 days ago i develope this bearing slash belt boise. So I went to the jeep dealer and they aked how tight is the belt, I said i can push it down at least a half inch. They told me to tighten it, it should be snug. ( I was there going to pick up a idler pully which i thought was the problem) I come home and tighten the belt now it is lowder than before. So I loosen the belt and pull off the idler and clean it and it also spins freely. I put it all back and now my jeep is louder than before. I have a guy coming to look at this jeep on Sunday i need to fix this Please help. One thing when I press on the gas to 2000 rpms the noise really gets quiet. Is it the water pump, alternator, ac..... Please help The noise seems louder underneath.

I am going to change the belt in the morning!

Changed the belt this mornig and the Idler pulley Walla! Fixed.
Advanced auto Idler pully 18 dollars.
Thanks for everyones help, now if I can get the 99 cherokee high speed noise to stop I'll be a good as gold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by mcgratht; 01-29-2005 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: Followup Fixed
mcgratht is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2005, 04:06 PM   #2
LJ_Cool
2006 LJ Wrangler 

my 1990 has just started doing this all the time,

Squeals like a banshee when idling, with a wierd chirping sound going on too
when I rev up , it goes quiet.

before it got to this point, it seemed only to squeak for a short time when first started up on cold mornings, on hot days, it didn't.

I've been thinking it's an idler pully too, but maybe the water pump? I don't think it's the PS pump, but who knows, so if I'm going in there to fix the those two issues, I might as well swap out to a new radiator and open system with an electric fan. And if I'm going to have it up on stands, then I might as well grab that 242 and D44 from the junk yard. (now I'll need new springs and shocks for the lift) So before I even start, the jobs getting to big for me to do in a 1/2 hour. and I don't have all the parts, :-( nor a plan for splaining how a squeaking engine costs so much for fixing, and has to be in the garage for so long.

Let me know how you fix it. incase I just take the short route.
2006 TJ Unlimited (Midnight Blue #888)
75k- 2.5" lift, riding on 32's with terraflex rocker armor
LJ_Cool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2005, 04:36 PM   #3
irdaniel

noise

My 95 yj is doing the same thing. Post #2 discribed my symptoms exactly. I tightened my belt ...no help. Anyone kwow where the crazy noise is coming from?
irdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2005, 04:42 PM   #4
SmittysXJ

My belt was squeeking really bad also. Come to find out it was the water pump going bad along with the belt needing to be replaced. Got it all done for around $150.00
SmittysXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2005, 06:20 PM   #5
creature
2001 XJ Cherokee 

A little spray of belt conditioner helped my squeeky belt, but it wasn't a major problem in the first place.
Unread 01-28-2005, 09:03 PM   #6
jeepjosh

sounds like the water pump to me
Unread 01-29-2005, 03:21 PM   #7
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'd say try belt conditioner or a new belt, those are the cheapest places to start.
Matt Gertsch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2005, 08:37 AM   #8
sirnder

My '99 Cherokee with 109,000 on it is making that "chirping" noise when cold. Noise goes away after about 5 miles of driving (warmed up). Did you resolve this problem with your rig ? Please help !

Thanx
sirnder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2005, 07:47 PM   #9
mcgratht

chirping noise

I solved the problem by changing the idler pully and I put a new belt on. When you have the idler off the truck stick your finger in it and give it a spin if it makes any noise at all it needs to be replaced.
Good Luck
mcgratht is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.