1995 Cherokee won't start has fuel and spark - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-15-2017, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Fosterryan

Okay so I have a 1995 Cherokee. I've had it for about 8 months now. I bought it stock and added my tires , lift , etc. I was doing a little mudding and my passenger side motor mount bolts sheared off inside the block causing my motor to fall onto the distributor but at time I knew something was messed up but limped it home to see what happened. Dizzy was destroyed although jeep still ran. Put brown dog bracket and mount on , new distributor , set timing and all that and it only cranks. Spark is blue. I've replaced coil, plugs , wires , and still it cranks and won't start. I replaced the distributor before for maintenance and had no problems. I've done the ignition timing per instructions in my repair manual. Multiple times. It doesn't even try to start. Just cranks. Please any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-15-2017, 11:06 AM
deadcode
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosterryan View Post
Okay so I have a 1995 Cherokee. I've had it for about 8 months now. I bought it stock and added my tires , lift , etc. I was doing a little mudding and my passenger side motor mount bolts sheared off inside the block causing my motor to fall onto the distributor but at time I knew something was messed up but limped it home to see what happened. Dizzy was destroyed although jeep still ran. Put brown dog bracket and mount on , new distributor , set timing and all that and it only cranks. Spark is blue. I've replaced coil, plugs , wires , and still it cranks and won't start. I replaced the distributor before for maintenance and had no problems. I've done the ignition timing per instructions in my repair manual. Multiple times. It doesn't even try to start. Just cranks. Please any help would be appreciated.
Have you checked the CPS? Make sure if you replace it you get a genuine Jeep part or a Mopar part.

"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success."
- Bruce Feirstein
post #3 of 6 Old 08-15-2017, 11:13 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You could suppose that the engine falling damaged some wires or wire plugs. Inspect the wire harnesses for broken/pinched/damaged wires and for chafed wire insulation, and check the wire plugs for loose or displaced wire plug pins. As suggested already, whenever there is cranking and not starting issue, the CPS should be tested.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-15-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Fosterryan

Okay I will replace cps today and see what happens. I've definitely checked for frayed wires and stressed harness but haven't found anything
post #5 of 6 Old 08-18-2017, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Fosterryan

Update I replaced cps and no change. I'm stumped and pretty frustrated at this point
post #6 of 6 Old 08-18-2017, 11:25 AM
deadcode
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosterryan View Post
Update I replaced cps and no change. I'm stumped and pretty frustrated at this point
Is the fuel good? Bad fuel is a PITA and sneaks up on you.

"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success."
- Bruce Feirstein

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.