1994 Cherokee XJ Crusie Control Install, Possible? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1994 Cherokee XJ Crusie Control Install, Possible?

Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 01-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
alexk243
1994 XJ Cherokee 

1994 Cherokee XJ Crusie Control Install, Possible?

I have a 1994 Cherokee XJ base model (SE I think it was called). It does not have crusie control, nor did it ever. I have access to a junked cherokee that has cruise control on it and I realize that I could pull the vacuum servo, throttle cables and steering colum control and install no problem. I am just unsure how the wiring works. I know this is not a fly-by-wire car, but the speedo is electronically controlled.

The three wires from the servo head directly into the wiring harness and as far as I could trace them I think they head into the computer (if thats what the plastic box on the front drivers side of the engine compartment with all the wires going into it is.)

Can I do my own wiring job and make this work for my car? (I am assuming that there is no hookup for those cruise wires on my wiring harness)

Basically what do I need to do to wire it?

Unread 01-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
carbonxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I am interested in doing the same.

Bump for relevant interest.
carbonxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2011, 01:05 AM   #3
alexk243
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Ok cool, well I think we may be in luck. Just ran over the wiring diagrams and my cars engine compartment and what it looks like is the wiring harness and vaccum line hookup for the servo are already in place on my car. All I would have to do is buy the servo, hook up wire harness, vacuum line, and throttle pull cable and that part is ready to go.

As for the switch attached to the steering colum, I would have to check if there is a harness there, but as the wire that links to the switch is already part of the harness at the servo, I am assuming the harness is there. Pretty much like the $500 jeeps-r-us kit. All it is is plug and play as long as your car has the harnesses for it. I still have to check if the harness on the PCM has the connections to everything (number 33 and 53 on harness I think).

I am pretty sure if you dont have the harnesses already there you cant do it without doing something like swapping out your PCM and wiring harness lol.

Headed out to get the servo and steering colum switch tomorrow, I can get them for $100 so if anyone is interested I can grab some more (they are used off of junk cars though). I am pretty sure thats all the Jeeps-r-us kit is.
Unread 01-07-2011, 01:08 AM   #4
alexk243
1994 XJ Cherokee 

If you want to know what color wires to look for and were the harness should be just let me know and I will take some pics of everything and upload the wireing diagram for those parts that I have. That will tell you at least what color the wires are and where to look for those wires for the cruise control or "speed control" as they call it
Unread 01-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
parrothd

I added it, pretty simple...I know I got the kit info from this site? Or google, but it was a kit to add it...
parrothd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
parrothd

Well it took awhile to find, but I guess it was $300, can't believe I paid that much for it, but you could get all the stuff from the junk yard...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/c...ontrol-260756/

I don't remember the kit having much, except the control for the steering wheel and the servo, I think the rest was already built in...
Unread 01-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #7
alexk243
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
Well it took awhile to find, but I guess it was $300, can't believe I paid that much for it, but you could get all the stuff from the junk yard...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/c...ontrol-260756/

I don't remember the kit having much, except the control for the steering wheel and the servo, I think the rest was already built in...
Wow! Yea thats what I am thinking. I can get used one for $100 for the servo and steering wheel control. If thats all I need, I feel like its a pretty cheap add on.
Unread 01-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
alexk243
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Traced all the wires on the wiring diagram and everything seems to be in my car and all wires do go into the PCM.

My questions is though, do I have to remove the steering wheel to install the new switch? its on the turn signal arm.
Unread 01-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
parrothd

Yes and no, on my 93, you simply pull the turn signal handle out and replace it with the curise control one, there's a wire that you're supposed to fish down the steering column and connect it somewhere. Me being lazy I didn't bother taking apart the column to fish the wire, and just have it outside the column and tucked away underneath so you can't see it...
Unread 01-18-2011, 01:27 PM   #10
alexk243
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Can you remove the steering colum to do it right without pulling the wheel?
Unread 01-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
parrothd

Honestly, I can't remember, but you could try using a fish tape/stiff wire and try and fish it thru the turn signal hole down to the bottom on the column, there should be a wire chace, otherwise you'll need to pull the steering wheel and probably disassemble part of the column to get access...

Added"
I think the easy part is getting the wire out of the bottom on the column, the hard part is probably going to be getting the wire from the turn signal cut out into the wire chase to bottom..
Unread 01-18-2011, 02:14 PM   #12
parrothd

http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html

I think you may have to disassemble pretty far, check out pics after:

"Then you remove the phillips head screw that holds the turn signal lever bracket in place."

Tags
cruise , cruise control , wiring diagram , wiring harness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.