1994 Cherokee Speedometer Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1994 Cherokee Speedometer Problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 10-03-2006, 08:25 AM   #1
thaze

1994 Cherokee Speedometer Problem

Recently purchase a 94 Cherokee for my son and the speedometer does not work. Not knowing much about jeeps nor having torn the dash apart yet, have determined that the speedometer is not mechanical. Is it fed from the switch mounted on the transfer case? Are there diagnostic tests that I can do to determine what the problem is? The rest of the instrument cluster works. Thanks

thaze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2006, 08:43 AM   #2
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You right, the speedo runs off an electric signal from the back of the transfer case. There's a small gear turns off of the TC output shaft. I would start by pulling that out (pretty easy) and taking a look at the gears to make sure they aren't worn, then try tracing the wires for shorts or bad connections. Also check the back of the guage cluster for bad grounds. There are four screws holding the back trim on and some clips. It's a little tricky to manuever out.

You should be able to find a speedo pretty cheap in a junk yard, or even consider doing a guage cluster swap if you don't have the tach/oil pressure/temp/voltmeter and if your son plans on wheeling it. The extra info about the engine is nice to know.

I got a cluster off ebay for $30 shipped and spent about $35 on sensors to convert it over.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
thaze

Thanks for the info. We pulled the gear from the transfer case and it looked perfect. Checked the wiring back as best we could until it disappeared in the bundle near the firewall. Pulled the instrument panel, snugged the screws on the back and checked the connection. All looked good, but it still does not work. The instrument panel includes guages for the oil, gas, battery, temp and a tach. They all work properly. Any chance that there is a fuse specifically for the speedometer? Thanks again.
Unread 10-03-2006, 07:49 PM   #4
foreman1063

Make sure the VSS( the part that holds the speedo gear and sends the signal to the speedo) is oriented correctly. The numbers on the VSS corresponding to the number of teeth on your gear should face down, next to the bump on the xfer case.
Good pic here.
http://jeepin.net/forum/showthread.p...599#post508599
foreman1063 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2006, 09:19 PM   #5
thaze

I will try that tomorrow. Thanks!
Unread 10-04-2006, 07:32 PM   #6
thaze

Foreman1063 - you were right on the money! I lined the VSS up so that the bracket fit in the slots on the VSS as your picture showed and the speedo, odometer, and the trip are now working correctly. By the looks of the gear, I would say someone replaced it and then did not get the VSS installed correctly. Thanks!
Unread 10-04-2006, 08:42 PM   #7
foreman1063

Glad it worked out.
John
foreman1063 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.