1992 XJ Laredo, brake and hazards not working. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1992 XJ Laredo, brake and hazards not working.

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 07-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
WilsonZone
1978 CJ5 

1992 XJ Laredo, brake and hazards not working.

My daughter bought a 1992 Cherokee Laredo yesterday for $900. I went through it to make sure everything checked out but after she paid them and I followed her home I noticed the brake lights were not working.

I figured it was the fuse but I'm not sure if I found the correct fuse. I found a post in a Cherokee forum that states "the 15 amp mimi fuse in the engine compartment marked HAZ lamps" is the one for the brake lights. I checked that fuse and it was fine. I went through all the fuses at both the engine compartment and under the dash and they are all good.

I figured it was just a brake switch and thought I'd check all the lights. I noticed that the hazards were not working either. I don't think the brake switch would affect the hazards but there is several wires going to the brake switch.

Any suggestions on what I should be checking for? My daughter spent all her money getting this Jeep and doesn't have a lot for repairs right now, so I'd like to make sure the part is bad before I go around buying new parts.

TIA

WilsonZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Chelsea
The clocks ticking, pops.

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Have you checked the bulbs? When I bought my old car, 3 out of the 4 bulbs in the tail light housings were burned out. It's worth looking at.

2005 WK Limited, 5.7 hemi, QDii, stock for now

1999 XJ Sport, trail rig, lots of goodies
Chelsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
WilsonZone
1978 CJ5 

I checked the bulbs, they are all still good. I even had a new one from my Grand Cherokee (needed one, two came in the pack) so I put that one in and still not getting any brake lights.

If the hazards are turned on, doesn't that flash the turn signal bulbs? I'm wondering if the hazards and brake lights issues are not related to each other.

Also the brake switch has 6 wires going into it, which I thought was odd. In other vehicles they only had two wires going to the brake switch.
Unread 07-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
WilsonZone
1978 CJ5 

I think I figured it out. There is power going to the fuse under the hood but when I checked the voltage going to the switch I'm getting under 1 volt to it.

I used a jumper wire to provide 12 volts to the switch both the brake lights and emergency flashers worked. So obviously there's a break from the fuse to the switch. More than likely under the hood somewhere.
Unread 01-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
WilsonZone
1978 CJ5 

It's been a while since I posted on this thread, but I wanted to post an update. After doing a LOT of troubleshooting I found a short in the rear pillar where the wires go from the driver's side to the passenger side. I couldn't reach where the short was so I just cut the old wire and ran a new wire through the pillar.

Tags
electrical , lights , brake , hazard , cherokee

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.