1992 XJ Cherokee OEM radiator - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1992 XJ Cherokee OEM radiator

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #16
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
You can't order them directly through CSF (unless you want a whole skid). You can order one from one of the many retailers that sell them.
Part# 2290 has been discontinued and replaced with Part# 2572
http://www.quadratec.com/products/51210_6203.htm
http://www.amazon.com/CSF-Cherokee-C.../dp/B000CFPHM4

You can also use the later (91 and newer) version (Part #2671, or any 91+ radiator) if change your cooling system to the "open system" used in 91 and newer XJs. This is easy and just requires the correct recovery bottle and some new hoses.
http://dpgoffroad.com/products/csf-h...ngler-97-06-2/
http://www.amazon.com/CSF-98-01-Jeep.../dp/B000CFVMH8
Persons wanting a CSF radiator cannot do better than DPG Offroad. Dirk is a member here and does right by his customers!!!

2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #17
Flynn
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff View Post
Persons wanting a CSF radiator cannot do better than DPG Offroad. Dirk is a member here and does right by his customers!!!
I just checked DPG and their website is indicating no 2572's for RENIX. Only has for open systems which the OP of this thread was probably looking for.

Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #18
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383 View Post
Put a 180 stat in a properly functioning/well maintained XJ cooling system along with a digital ScanGauge to observe coolant temps in actual 1 degree increments and u will observe, as I have over the past 3 years, that a 180 stat will allow cooler temps +/-95% of driving time/driving conditions vs a 195 stat. I may be off a little on the percentage but I'm spot on in what I have observed with everything being apples to apples except for 180 vs 195 stats. Have I also observed 230 on the ScanGauge using a 180 stat?......hell yes......in +/-5% driving time/conditions. Jeep dealerships offered/sold a 180 stat for use in the XJ.....that's a fact.
I have no doubt that dealerships have offered 180 stats; dealerships can be downright idiotic, so that's not exactly strong support for your argument.

Regarding 180 stats lowering temps vs a 195, fine, but why would you want the temp to be lower than a perfectly-functioning 195? Colder isn't necessarily better; the engine is meant to be at a certain temp while running, and a healthy system with a 195 stat puts it there. Care to explain why making it run at an even colder temp would somehow be desirable?

EDIT:
Forget it. This is too far off-topic, it would take a miraculous piece of information for me to change my stance, and I doubt you're going to budge in your belief.

OP, since you're hoping to find a quality closed system radiator, I say snatch that CSF from Amazon that dmill89 linked you. I can think of nothing better for you and your particular goals.

New sig rules suck.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #19
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen302 View Post
Does anyone know the best place to get a stock radiator for a 1992 XJ Cherokee with a 4.0l L6? It is the Laredo edition and I need some engine cooling parts also.

Thanks!

What "stock" radiator do you think you might want ...

The 1row basic ... or the 2row, max cool option .... or the copper/brass one they offered for the hot, middle east, sales market ??

FWIW ... A 2row all metal is a good allrounder ... whether you go copper/brass or aluminium - depends on which faerie tales and sales marketing stories you like the best.

Quote:
...... Chrysler/Jeep offered a 180 stat thru their dealerships, at least at some point in time, so my guess is the engineers thought the computer would work just as good with a 180 stat as it would with a 195 stat.

tsk tsk .... see the trouble you caused ..

What you should have written - Was that it was a factory option, with a genuine part number ... rather than just saying dealerships "offered" it ....

Carves is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #20
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

I bought a BTR 3 row one for my 1995 XJ - $204 including shipping to a USA address. JD at BTR was very helpful over the phone and I have to say that the radiator istself is a work of art.

It is a bit deeper than the original and i modified the mountings slightly to get a bit more clearance from the fan clutch body.
moggie99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #21
Flynn
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
OP, since you're hoping to find a quality closed system radiator, I say snatch that CSF from Amazon that dmill89 linked you. I can think of nothing better for you and your particular goals.
I agree, I went for the Amazon option, but they would not sell it to me. Because ... I live in Canada. The amount of disrespect we get from US sellers is astounding.

Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #22
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I have no doubt that dealerships have offered 180 stats; dealerships can be downright idiotic, so that's not exactly strong support for your argument.

Regarding 180 stats lowering temps vs a 195, fine, but why would you want the temp to be lower than a perfectly-functioning 195? Colder isn't necessarily better; the engine is meant to be at a certain temp while running, and a healthy system with a 195 stat puts it there. Care to explain why making it run at an even colder temp would somehow be desirable?

EDIT:
Forget it. This is too far off-topic, it would take a miraculous piece of information for me to change my stance, and I doubt you're going to budge in your belief.

Don't back out now.......but before u do, please tell me/us what that certain temp is. We're all dying to know.
Unread 06-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #23
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Don't back out now.......but before u do, please tell me/us what that certain temp is. We're all dying to know.
(OP, if you're not cool with this off-topic pissing contest, let me know, and I'll delete my posts; I mean you and your thread no disrespect by entertaining this "discussion")

Roughly 195-210 not only because of the engine design itself but for a simpler, more fundamental reason--engine oil. Oil's optimal temp is a wider range, but 200 generally falls very comfortably in the middle of that range.

Run an engine too cool or slow it's warm-up too much can foul plugs, lower MPG, increase harmful emissions, and sustain more carbon build-up.

Again, regardless of all this, what's even the point of a 180? It's just a "door." It's open or closed. When it's open, it's just as open as a 195, and the 4.0 will still warm-up to about 200 no matter which "door" the coolant is passing through or what temp that door happens to open. The actual heat exchange is at the radiator. A bigger radiator and/or more airflow through it and/or more coolant flow are ways to alter how much and how fast heat is exchanged (i.e. lowering/raising the temp).

Given the attitude I can see brewing and that this IS an off-topic discussion, this is my last post on the subject in this thread.

New sig rules suck.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #24
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
(OP, if you're not cool with this off-topic pissing contest, let me know, and I'll delete my posts; I mean you and your thread no disrespect by entertaining this "discussion")

Roughly 195-210 not only because of the engine design itself but for a simpler, more fundamental reason--engine oil. Oil's optimal temp is a wider range, but 200 generally falls very comfortably in the middle of that range.

Run an engine too cool or slow it's warm-up too much can foul plugs, lower MPG, increase harmful emissions, and sustain more carbon build-up.

Again, regardless of all this, what's even the point of a 180? It's just a "door." It's open or closed. When it's open, it's just as open as a 195, and the 4.0 will still warm-up to about 200 no matter which "door" the coolant is passing through or what temp that door happens to open. The actual heat exchange is at the radiator. A bigger radiator and/or more airflow through it and/or more coolant flow are ways to alter how much and how fast heat is exchanged (i.e. lowering/raising the temp).

Given the attitude I can see brewing and that this IS an off-topic discussion, this is my last post on the subject in this thread.
To the OP, anybody that tells u that a 180 stat will not yield lower coolant temps than a 195 stat, is flat wrong. A 180 stat will yield lower coolant temps +/-95% (or most) of the time. There are variables that come into play that determine minimum/maximum coolant temp.

Presuming we eliminate owner neglect and a cooling system that is in less than top notch condition, things like ambient temp, air flow, driving conditions, etc. are some of the variables. Let's take cold weather for a example of a variable. In cold weather, running the heater and using a 195 stat, actual coolant temp could be at little under 195 but a 195 stat is trying it's best to maintain 195 by remaining closed. Same scenario but running a 180 stat.......actual coolant temp will most likely be at or maybe even a little below 180. Again, a 180 stat is trying it's best to maintain 180 by remaining closed. Remember, a heater core is a small radiator and sheds lots of heat (if it's unplugged of course) so the stat may not need to open or opens very little and for only a moment.

There's another subject.....how the stat opens. The door example is a good one but the explanation falls short. The door (stat) has a infinite number of open positions between closed and wide open. The stat (door) also open/closes very very slowly. It virtually hovers between the closed/wide open positions, again in an infinite number of positions, depending on all of the variables present at whatever given moment/driving condition. Most stats are closed, or just ever so slightly beginning to open, at their rated number and most stats are fully open +/-15 degrees above their rated open temp. Again, a stat opens/closes very slowly and has an infinite number of open positions between full closed and wide open. One other little detail about a stat.....when wide open, it will allow more coolant to flow than the water pump can pump. It is not a restriction when wide open.

Let's not cloud up coolant temp scenarios with oil temps and fouled plugs but rather stick to the subject.....coolant temps. With regard to "what's the point of a 180" ask some performance guru's about the benefits of slightly lower coolants which usually allow for lower under hood air temps as well.

I don't believe that anywhere have I recommended/suggested using a lower temp stat. I simply said that the statement - "a 180 stat will make it harder for the computer to do it's job, they don't help cooling at all and Your engine will still reach the same operating temp with a 180 stat (vs a 195)" from posts #3 and #10 are false and misleading +/-95% of the time.

Oh yes, I touched briefly on cold operating conditions/variables so let me say just bit on hot operating conditions. The stock XJ rad has a very small frontal square inch surface area per cubic inch motor displacement (1.27 sq. in./cid, iirc) when compared to most other vehicles. Not a whole lot can be done about frontal surface area......it is what it is. If someone could mount a radiator from a F450 PowerStroke into the XJ, the only XJ overheat threads would be those pertaining to owner neglect.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.