1992 XJ Cherokee OEM radiator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1992 XJ Cherokee OEM radiator

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
Stephen302
1992 XJ Cherokee 

1992 XJ Cherokee OEM radiator

Does anyone know the best place to get a stock radiator for a 1992 XJ Cherokee with a 4.0l L6? It is the Laredo edition and I need some engine cooling parts also.

Thanks!

Stephen302 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
Stephen302
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Would I need to upgrade I have a 3" lift and 31 inch mud terrain tires. The jeep will see a lot of off-roading from easy to intense inclines and mud pits. Also I forgot to add it is a five speed 4x4.
Stephen302 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 06:17 AM   #3
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

No, you don't need to upgrade, and OEM style radiators are sold all over the place. I personally decided not to get one because figuring-out who actually made them and to what quality was virtually impossible; even dealerships couldn't give me a straight answer about the ones they sell. A lot of guys go with brass/copper 2 or 3 row radiators from CSF. I ended-up choosing a 3 row radiator from BTR radiators instead after talking with them. If you feel really spendy, the ultimate upgrade would be an all-aluminum radiator from Griffon, but remember--you don't need to upgrade. Your mention of "intense inclines" makes me want to say that you should probably upgrade to at least a multi-row radiator and be very sure that your fan(s) are working.

Get whatever radiator you want, and pick-up whatever other cooling parts from Napa. If you need a new thermostat, make sure it's a quality 195 (lower temp thermostats just make it harder for the computer to do its job; they don't help cooling at all).
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

The cooling system of an XJ is it 's "Achille's heel." Whenever I do any repairs to that system, I always go for the best/biggest parts I can find to improve the system.

For radiators, I prefer good quality metal ones like CSF. I have had bad luck with OEM plastic/aluminum in the XJ, but that may have been a one-off issue with my Modine replacement.

For thermostats, use OEM or RobertShaw with the airvent.

Don't neglect the fan clutch. If it's more than 3-5 years old, replace it. It's pretty much impossible to test them effectively, and they tend to wear out within that time. On top of which, they are relatively cheap.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
Flynn
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I just emailed CSF to get a quote (STD) for my 1990 XJ. Here's their response;
Good Afternoon,

We currently do not have part number 2290 in stock, Also we do not sell to
the general public unfortunately only through distributors. Have a good
day!

Any other option's?
Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I would say a 180 stat lowers coolant temp most of the time........10-15 degrees cooler in maybe 95% of driving conditions. Chrysler/Jeep offered a 180 stat thru their dealerships, at least at some point in time, so my guess is the engineers thought the computer would work just as good with a 180 stat as it would with a 195 stat.

There r extreme operating situations/driving conditions in which peak coolant temps using a 180 stat will be no lower than when using a 195 stat......but again, a 180 stat will yield slightly lower coolant temps most of the time, with no ill effects on mpg, motor performance/efficiency or heater performance. Once both stats are wide open, the open dimensions are the same and they both flow the same amount of coolant when wide open. And remember, a stat does one thing only......determines the minimum coolant temp. The rest of the cooling system, along with it's condition, ambient temps and driving conditions determine maximum coolant temp. A properly functioning t-stat has nothing to do with maximum coolant temp.
Unread 06-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
I just emailed CSF to get a quote (STD) for my 1990 XJ. Here's their response;
Good Afternoon,

We currently do not have part number 2290 in stock, Also we do not sell to
the general public unfortunately only through distributors. Have a good
day!

Any other option's?
You can't order them directly through CSF (unless you want a whole skid). You can order one from one of the many retailers that sell them.
Part# 2290 has been discontinued and replaced with Part# 2572
http://www.quadratec.com/products/51210_6203.htm
http://www.amazon.com/CSF-Cherokee-C.../dp/B000CFPHM4

You can also use the later (91 and newer) version (Part #2671, or any 91+ radiator) if change your cooling system to the "open system" used in 91 and newer XJs. This is easy and just requires the correct recovery bottle and some new hoses.
http://dpgoffroad.com/products/csf-h...ngler-97-06-2/
http://www.amazon.com/CSF-98-01-Jeep.../dp/B000CFVMH8
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

BTR radiators (www.btr-radiator.com) sells a 3 row brass/copper radiator for earlier years (I'm pretty sure), but since you only tried CSF before asking for more options, you must not have read my post which mentioned other options. BTR's customer service was spectacular; they actually insist on talking one-on-one with you to take your order and to make sure they (and you) know exactly what you need.
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
Flynn
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
You can't order them directly through CSF (unless you want a whole skid). You can order one from one of the many retailers that sell them.
Part# 2290 has been discontinued and replaced with Part# 2572
http://www.quadratec.com/products/51210_6203.htm
http://www.amazon.com/CSF-Cherokee-C.../dp/B000CFPHM4

You can also use the later (91 and newer) version (Part #2671, or any 91+ radiator) if change your cooling system to the "open system" used in 91 and newer XJs. This is easy and just requires the correct recovery bottle and some new hoses.
http://dpgoffroad.com/products/csf-h...ngler-97-06-2/
http://www.amazon.com/CSF-98-01-Jeep.../dp/B000CFVMH8
Thank you! Much appreciated. I'm sticking with the closed system now that I'm starting to figure it out. Now, back to your regular program ...

Unread 06-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383 View Post
I would say a 180 stat lowers coolant temp most of the time........10-15 degrees cooler in maybe 95% of driving conditions. Chrysler/Jeep offered a 180 stat thru their dealerships, at least at some point in time, so my guess is the engineers thought the computer would work just as good with a 180 stat as it would with a 195 stat.
No. Just no. A 180 degree stat will simply open up sooner. It will not somehow magically increase how much heat your cooling system exchanges nor how fast it exchanges it. Your engine will still reach the same operating temp with a 180 stat, and if it had an overheating problem, it will still overheat--I guarantee it. The only way a 180 stat can "solve" an overheating problem is if the stat it replaced was malfunctioning. By opening-up sooner, your engine will take longer to reach optimal operating temp which, while not catastrophic, isn't as good for it as simply reaching operating temp ASAP.

Generally, dealerships barely know anything about the new cars on their lot (which isn't all that horrible since new cars are usually pretty new in that no one has had much time to get to know them); ask them a technical question about an older vehicle like an XJ, and watch any real Jeep enthusiast run circles around them while they try to figure-out how to answer.
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #11
Flynn
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
BTR radiators (www.btr-radiator.com) sells a 3 row brass/copper radiator for earlier years (I'm pretty sure), but since you only tried CSF before asking for options, you must not have read my post which mentioned other options. BTR's customer service was spectacular; they actually insist on talking one-on-one with you to take your order and to make sure they (and you) know exactly what you need.
No, I did not ignore your post. I emailed BTR and am awaiting a response. All I can get around here is plastic. Prices from $130 (Napa) to $256.

Unread 06-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #12
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ah, I see. Well, while BTR's customer service was great, their email response is TERRIBLE. Call them.
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #13
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
they actually insist on talking one-on-one with you to take your order and to make sure they (and you) know exactly what you need.
While some might like that I found it extremely annoying. I had allot of trouble getting a hold of them and after playing phone tag for 2 days I canceled my order (by email since I still hadn't gotten anyone on the phone) and got a CSF from radiator barn.

I can sort-of understand this when ordering for a custom application (though even there I prefer the option to call if necessary rather than it being mandatory, if I know what I need when I place the order why should a call be required?), but for a stock replacement radiator where I knew exactly what I needed there is no reason the order should have not been able to be processed through the website and the "mandatory" phone call was extremely inconvenient and I'm sure has cost them many sales in addition to mine.

Again it comes down to personal preference, personally I would much rather to have been able to complete the order through the web-site (like virtually any other company in 2012/2013 can do).
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
While some might like that I found it extremely annoying. I had allot of trouble getting a hold of them and after playing phone tag for 2 days I canceled my order (by email since I still hadn't gotten anyone on the phone) and got a CSF from radiator barn.

I can sort-of understand this when ordering for a custom application (though even there I prefer the option to call if necessary rather than it being mandatory, if I know what I need when I place the order why should a call be required?), but for a stock replacement radiator where I knew exactly what I needed there is no reason the order should have not been able to be processed through the website and the "mandatory" phone call was extremely inconvenient and I'm sure has cost them many sales in addition to mine.

Again it comes down to personal preference, personally I would much rather to have been able to complete the order through the web-site (like virtually any other company in 2012/2013 can do).
Honestly, I feel the same way, but the phone call was very quick and painless. I needed to talk to the guy anyway because I had a proposal for him, though. You're not the only one who has complained about them being hard to reach via all channels of communication, and when I was trying to get in touch with them again after my order (unrelated to my order), I never did get in touch with them (email and voicemail are unanswered to this day).
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #15
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
No. Just no. A 180 degree stat will simply open up sooner. It will not somehow magically increase how much heat your cooling system exchanges nor how fast it exchanges it. Your engine will still reach the same operating temp with a 180 stat, and if it had an overheating problem, it will still overheat--I guarantee it. The only way a 180 stat can "solve" an overheating problem is if the stat it replaced was malfunctioning. By opening-up sooner, your engine will take longer to reach optimal operating temp which, while not catastrophic, isn't as good for it as simply reaching operating temp ASAP.

Generally, dealerships barely know anything about the new cars on their lot (which isn't all that horrible since new cars are usually pretty new in that no one has had much time to get to know them); ask them a technical question about an older vehicle like an XJ, and watch any real Jeep enthusiast run circles around them while they try to figure-out how to answer.
Some of your statements r correct, some r flat wrong. Eliminating all the what ifs/variables/etc., installing a 180 vs a 195 in a well mainted/properly functioning cooling system, the 180 will allow lower coolant temps most, but not all, of the driving time year round.

Put a 180 stat in a properly functioning/well maintained XJ cooling system along with a digital ScanGauge to observe coolant temps in actual 1 degree increments and u will observe, as I have over the past 3 years, that a 180 stat will allow cooler temps +/-95% of driving time/driving conditions vs a 195 stat. I may be off a little on the percentage but I'm spot on in what I have observed with everything being apples to apples except for 180 vs 195 stats. Have I also observed 230 on the ScanGauge using a 180 stat?......hell yes......in +/-5% driving time/conditions. Jeep dealerships offered/sold a 180 stat for use in the XJ.....that's a fact.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.