1992 Jeep Cherokee won't start! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1992 Jeep Cherokee won't start!

FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 02-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
PoorJeepGuy90

1992 Jeep Cherokee won't start!

Hi! I have a problem. My 1992 Jeep Cherokee Sport won't start up. I turn the key and i hear the engine try to start, then it will just click in the engine. Basically, it sounds like 'wreer wreer wreer click click click click click." Best way I can describe it, ha ha. My dad and I took the starter out and got it tested, and it worked just fine. We also took out a weird looking piece that was near the battery. It was connected to a red wire that goes from one end of the engine to the other. It looks like 2 small rectangles on a flat piece of plastic and 4 screws on the bottom of it. Its only about 2"x2"x1 1/2" or so. What is also weird is that after we put the starter back on the Jeep, we tried to start it up and it worked! But i tried this morning and it did the same thing. What we are most curious about is the little piece that's really corroded. Can someone help me out please? Its only got 139k miles on it, and I really depend on this Jeep.

PoorJeepGuy90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
Mikeand
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Did you clean up the connections on the starter and battery? It is the problem 90% of the time. Clean all the grub and grime off till they shine, on the starter and on the cables.

No idea what part your talking about, pics speak a million words
1996 Cherokee Sport -4.6L Stroker, TB Spacer, Cold Air Intake, APN Header - D30 front / 8.25 Rear -RC 3" Lift -Dakota Leaf Pack -Rough Country Discos / -31" General Grabber A/T2s on 15x8 Cragar Soft 8s -Diamond plate rear quarter panels -Front bumper with hoop - IRO Double shear Track Bar and HD tie rod -Homemade light bar
Mikeand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
PoorJeepGuy90

Actually, I went to Autozone and got a new battery and it fired right up! It was just really damaged. I'll take a picture later of the piece I'm talking about.
PoorJeepGuy90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
help needed , start problems , starter issue , starting issue , won't start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.