1992 Cherokee Sport MT Shifter Knob - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1992 Cherokee Sport MT Shifter Knob

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 01-27-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
deodra
1992 XJ Cherokee 

1992 Cherokee Sport MT Shifter Knob

Good evening, all! I searched and found several topics regarding the shifter knob, but none that fully answered my question. I have a '92 Cherokee Sport with a MT and need to replace the shifter knob. Is mine the one that pops on and off or is there supposed to be a screw here? I purchased this used and the knob was broken when I got it. How would I go about removing anything I am supposed to and finding/replacing the knob? Thanks for any help!

Unread 01-28-2011, 07:56 AM   #2
unkajeffy
1991 XJ Cherokee 

If you still have the old knob put some epoxy putty in the hole and jam it back in there and let it set for fifteen minutes. If not I believe you can unscrew that knurled part with a pair of vice grips.
Unread 01-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
deodra
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkajeffy View Post
If you still have the old knob put some epoxy putty in the hole and jam it back in there and let it set for fifteen minutes. If not I believe you can unscrew that knurled part with a pair of vice grips.
Brilliant, mate! Thanks much! I have some of that crap sitting at home. I'll let you know how that goes! Have a great one!
Unread 01-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
deodra
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry to double-post, but does this mean that my shifter should be the one that screws off counter-clockwise or the one that should pop off? My knob itself has a huge hollow space in the bottom where it looks as if something filled the void in the distant past. Prior to shoving epoxy in it I would like to know how it would have been via the factory so I know how to take it off in the future. Thanks!
Unread 01-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
danw77
1999 XJ Cherokee 

it appears to be the screw off type - it has a metal fitting inside the plastic knob. it appears that the two pieces have separated. do you still have the knob? if so, i would unscrew the silver piece and epoxy the two pieces together off of the shifter and then screw them back on once the epoxy dries. that collar then is tightened against the bottom of the shifter knob to keep it in place. if you don't have the knob itself you will have to unscrew the silver piece before you can screw the new knob on.
Unread 01-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
LeftOfCenterXJ
1988 XJ Cherokee 

It should screw off counter clockwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
It makes your trolling more credible to be grammatically correct. Lets everyone know you're a legitimate troll, not just one of those poser trolls.
LeftOfCenterXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
unkajeffy
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Brilliant, mate! Thanks much! I have some of that crap sitting at home. I'll let you know how that goes! Have a great one!(snip)

Yep grab the knurled part with vise grips or channell locks and it will unscrew.

As for the epoxy putty stuff, all of my heater and vent control knobs in my old CJ-7 were made of the stuff, with Budweiser caps added for the redneck style factor
Unread 01-31-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
deodra
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkajeffy View Post
Brilliant, mate! Thanks much! I have some of that crap sitting at home. I'll let you know how that goes! Have a great one!(snip)

Yep grab the knurled part with vise grips or channell locks and it will unscrew.

As for the epoxy putty stuff, all of my heater and vent control knobs in my old CJ-7 were made of the stuff, with Budweiser caps added for the redneck style factor
Hahaha! That's awesome! LOL! Sadly, this last Saturday the Jeep took a mad turn for the worse. I was driving on the interstate about 2 miles from my home and I just lost oil pressure and engine acceleration power and coasted to the side of the road. The power cut on the Cherokee when I pressed in on the clutch. It started right back up and the motor was making all kinds of noise upon startup. I had no choice but to limp it home (did not have anyone to tow it for me. I took the pan off and replaced the oil pump (it was wonky anyway) and could not see any rod damage or shavings in the oil or on any parts looking up into the engine. I have not had a chance to restart it after changing the pump as it got waaaayyy too cold out to torque everything down. I'm taking it to my friends shop this week to finish up the job. Anyone ever heard of something like this?

BTW, the shifter is fixed thanks to y'all! It's as solid as can be!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.