1992 Cherokee Laredo Rear Axle Alignment? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1992 Cherokee Laredo Rear Axle Alignment?

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
daffy

1992 Cherokee Laredo Rear Axle Alignment?

I just installed a Rough Country 3" lift kit on my 1992 Cherokee Laredo. This kit included front and rear shocks, front coil springs, and rear leaf springs. Everything seemed good until I mounted my new bigger tires. I noticed the rear drivers-side tire is almost touching the rear of the wheel well. The passenger side is aligned in the center of the well as expected.

The axle appears to be U-bolted correctly with the pin on the leaf in the hole on the mount. I noticed while doing some rough measurements that the rear leaf springs are manufactured different and the distance between the axle and the front and rear mounts is slightly off.

1. Is there a front and back direction for mounting the springs or does it matter?

2. Can the alignment be adjusted?

3. Any suggestions on how to fix this without modifying the wheel well?

Thanks in advance!

daffy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Hang the rear spring in the correct dirrection. Or the locating pins have slipped. there is NO alignmet adjustment for the rear. Something is instaled wrong.
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Short end of the spring to the front.
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
daffy

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. Both ARE installed in the correct direction. However, the springs are assembled differently. The side with the correct wheel alignment has the straps which rap around the individual springs but the incorrect side does not have these. Also, one spring has rounded end on each spring element while the other's is square. I also measured from the rear mounting bolt to the back U-bolt thread (only method I could think of to get a strait line measurement) and one side is 26" and the other is 26 1/2". I'm thinking they sent me the wrong spring.

1. Any ideas?
2. Where can I find the part number on the springs? I couldn't see any from underneath. I figured my next step would be to call Rough Country but they are not open on Sunday.
Unread 01-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I think it would be correct to assume that you got 2 different leaf springs and the one of them is incorrect for an XJ. Calling RC with your concerns and measurements should be your first step.

CALL RYAN AT 1-800-222-7023 EXT 123

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Give them a call - the measurements won't necessarily match up since you've got weight on the pack, but they should be the same side-to-side. You might find the part number on the top of the pack - a lot of manufacturers will spray-paint it on in that area.
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
daffy

Well good news and thanks to CJ7-Tim. Ryan at Rough Country agreed that I had the wrong spring and is sending out a replacement at no charge. I would have to say that Rough Country's and National Tire & Wheel Online's customer service is awesome.

Tags
lift advice , lift kit advice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.