1991 XJ GasTank Mod +5 gals - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1991 XJ GasTank Mod +5 gals

VANCO DUAL MODE KNUCKLE 15" and 16" Big Brake kiLabor Day Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 05-09-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

1991 XJ GasTank Mod +5 gals

Anyone done this? I've read about and wonder if the air pocket is there for a reason. Is it a true 5 gallon addition? Any gotcha's?

Thanks!

Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I should clarify, it involves trimming the breather tube which is inserted in the tank. Thanks!
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
Crewdude007
What, me worry?
2001 XJ Cherokee 

What mod? Is there a link?

Black Jeep Society
Built Not Bought
Crewdude007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond-x View Post
Anyone done this? I've read about and wonder if the air pocket is there for a reason. Is it a true 5 gallon addition? Any gotcha's?

Thanks!
Yes .. I almost did this .. but when I read about it .. the reason there is extra room in the tank is because when the temp of the gas changes the actual fluid and fumes both expand. The extra room is to support this expansion. If you re-vent the tank this can be a safe mod, but IMO it was not worth it. I thought about getting a 15 gallon fuel cell with a pump, just to refill my stock tank, if I needed to carry more gas.

GO jeep has a good write up on this

All is you do is put an "j" shaped tube on the fill hole inside the tank .. the mod cost $2 and does make room for more gas however.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.