1991 transmission wont shift in proper gear - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-25-2009, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
corbin9191
1998 XJ Cherokee 

1991 transmission wont shift in proper gear

I have a 1991 jeep cherokee laredo with a 4.0 liter. I was having trouble with the old transmission when I bought it so I just switched the trannie. But the problem that I am having with it right now is when I go and put it into drive it automatically shifts into 3rd gear, and when when stomp on the gas it will not go into the passing gear and overdrive wont work. Any suggestions? Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-26-2009, 09:39 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

What problems did you have with the old transmission ? Did you adjust the Transmission cable on the throttle body ? Have you tried a different Transmission Control Unit (TCU) ?

The automatic transmission cable may need minor adjustment for proper operation.

Early model JEEPS have a clip on the transmission cable sleeve were it snaps onto the support bracket.
Pull the clip up with a small Flathead screwdriver, feed the slack in the cable into the sleeve and
push the clip back down to lock the adjustment in place.

Late model JEEPS have a half round push button cable lock. Push the half round button located
on the back of the bracket near the throttle body and push some of the cable into the sleeve. From
the drivers seat, with the engine OFF, push the gas pedal all the way to the floor.

You may have to adjust the automatic transmission cable a couple of times for correct transmission operation.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-26-2009, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
corbin9191
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
What problems did you have with the old transmission ? Did you adjust the Transmission cable on the throttle body ? Have you tried a different Transmission Control Unit (TCU) ?

The automatic transmission cable may need minor adjustment for proper operation.

Early model JEEPS have a clip on the transmission cable sleeve were it snaps onto the support bracket.
Pull the clip up with a small Flathead screwdriver, feed the slack in the cable into the sleeve and

Late model JEEPS have a half round push button cable lock. Push the half round button located
on the back of the bracket near the throttle body and push some of the cable into the sleeve. From
the drivers seat, with the engine OFF, push the gas pedal all the way to the floor.

You may have to adjust the automatic transmission cable a couple of times for correct transmission operation.
The problems that I had with the old transmission is the bands were going out of it. I have tried to adjust the transmission on the throttle body and it didnt do anything for the trannie. But the thing that I didnt try yet was to replace the TCU. But I will try that next. How much do they cost usually?
post #4 of 7 Old 01-26-2009, 11:00 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

www.car-part.com

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-26-2009, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
corbin9191
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Well I switched my old TCU with one out of a 89 jeep and the trannie is finally shifting, but there is not over-drive. Does anyone know how to fix that? And how do you buy off of that site? Thank you

Last edited by corbin9191; 01-26-2009 at 07:49 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-26-2009, 08:24 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbin9191 View Post
how do you buy off of that site?
I called one of the junkyards and they shipped me a part. Make sure you can return or exchange if the part doesn't function correctly.

post #7 of 7 Old 01-27-2009, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
corbin9191
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I called one of the junkyards and they shipped me a part. Make sure you can return or exchange if the part doesn't function correctly.
Ok, becuase I took my old TCU out and look inside and the whole board burned up and there were scorch marks all over the case. But I will give them a call and see if they still have that part.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.