1991 transmission wont shift in proper gear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1991 transmission wont shift in proper gear

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
corbin9191
1998 XJ Cherokee 

1991 transmission wont shift in proper gear

I have a 1991 jeep cherokee laredo with a 4.0 liter. I was having trouble with the old transmission when I bought it so I just switched the trannie. But the problem that I am having with it right now is when I go and put it into drive it automatically shifts into 3rd gear, and when when stomp on the gas it will not go into the passing gear and overdrive wont work. Any suggestions? Thank you

corbin9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

What problems did you have with the old transmission ? Did you adjust the Transmission cable on the throttle body ? Have you tried a different Transmission Control Unit (TCU) ?

The automatic transmission cable may need minor adjustment for proper operation.

Early model JEEPS have a clip on the transmission cable sleeve were it snaps onto the support bracket.
Pull the clip up with a small Flathead screwdriver, feed the slack in the cable into the sleeve and
push the clip back down to lock the adjustment in place.

Late model JEEPS have a half round push button cable lock. Push the half round button located
on the back of the bracket near the throttle body and push some of the cable into the sleeve. From
the drivers seat, with the engine OFF, push the gas pedal all the way to the floor.

You may have to adjust the automatic transmission cable a couple of times for correct transmission operation.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
corbin9191
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
What problems did you have with the old transmission ? Did you adjust the Transmission cable on the throttle body ? Have you tried a different Transmission Control Unit (TCU) ?

The automatic transmission cable may need minor adjustment for proper operation.

Early model JEEPS have a clip on the transmission cable sleeve were it snaps onto the support bracket.
Pull the clip up with a small Flathead screwdriver, feed the slack in the cable into the sleeve and

Late model JEEPS have a half round push button cable lock. Push the half round button located
on the back of the bracket near the throttle body and push some of the cable into the sleeve. From
the drivers seat, with the engine OFF, push the gas pedal all the way to the floor.

You may have to adjust the automatic transmission cable a couple of times for correct transmission operation.
The problems that I had with the old transmission is the bands were going out of it. I have tried to adjust the transmission on the throttle body and it didnt do anything for the trannie. But the thing that I didnt try yet was to replace the TCU. But I will try that next. How much do they cost usually?
Unread 01-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

www.car-part.com

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
Unread 01-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
corbin9191
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Well I switched my old TCU with one out of a 89 jeep and the trannie is finally shifting, but there is not over-drive. Does anyone know how to fix that? And how do you buy off of that site? Thank you

Last edited by corbin9191; 01-26-2009 at 07:49 PM..
Unread 01-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbin9191 View Post
how do you buy off of that site?
I called one of the junkyards and they shipped me a part. Make sure you can return or exchange if the part doesn't function correctly.

Unread 01-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #7
corbin9191
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I called one of the junkyards and they shipped me a part. Make sure you can return or exchange if the part doesn't function correctly.
Ok, becuase I took my old TCU out and look inside and the whole board burned up and there were scorch marks all over the case. But I will give them a call and see if they still have that part.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.