1990 Xj Tranny Shifting Problems! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1990 Xj Tranny Shifting Problems!

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-10-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
motorheadmach1
1990 XJ Cherokee 

1990 Xj Tranny Shifting Problems!

Im Sure This Will Be Just The Start Of Many Questions. I Have A 1990 Xj That I Just Got. Recently It Started Having A Proble In Teh Transmission. It Seems Like It Shifts Ricght From 1st Into 4th (od) If I Pull The Shifter Back Into 3 Instead Of Od It Shifts Down And Accelerates Fine. What Are The Possibilities Of This Being An Electronic Problem. Thankfully I Have A Spare Transmission In The 1991 Xj That I Just Rolled Over But I Dont Want To Install It If Its Even Compatable Being Thats Its Not A Renix System, And Have The Same Trouble, Thanks For The Help.
Andrew

Unread 11-10-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Right above your brake pedal there should be a yellow box with an AMC badge on it. It's the transmission control box, and somebody might have buggered it up. I don't have any exact values for you, but you might try tweaking some of the knobs and see if it makes a difference.

I bet you have your shift points turned all the way down.
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepishop View Post
Right above your brake pedal there should be a yellow box with an AMC badge on it. It's the transmission control box, and somebody might have buggered it up. I don't have any exact values for you, but you might try tweaking some of the knobs and see if it makes a difference.

I bet you have your shift points turned all the way down.
^^That box is for the cruise control.

The trans control unit is all the way on the passenger side under the dash, look to see if the fuse is blown, or you could try a replacement TCU from the junkyard. Also try adjusting your trans kickdown cable.
88XJSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88XJSport View Post
^^That box is for the cruise control.

The trans control unit is all the way on the passenger side under the dash, look to see if the fuse is blown, or you could try a replacement TCU from the junkyard. Also try adjusting your trans kickdown cable.
Really? I thought I saw something about the tranny written on it... and I don't have cruise.
Unread 11-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Really? I thought I saw something about the tranny written on it... and I don't have cruise.
Limited's have cruise.
Unread 11-10-2008, 04:55 PM   #6
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Well, you lean something new every day.

http://forums.off-road.com/general-4...okee-90-a.html
Quote:
They actually use the same units as GM, on the turn signal
switch left to right
off ----->on------>accell
button
push and release = set cruise speed
hold down = coast
and of course when you hit the brake it turns off
Unread 11-10-2008, 04:57 PM   #7
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Well, you lean something new every day.

http://forums.off-road.com/general-4...okee-90-a.html

You will learn a lot here.
Unread 11-10-2008, 08:11 PM   #8
motorheadmach1
1990 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for teh good info guys, how do i adjust the throttle pressure cable? (kickdown cable). and real quick will the body parts off the 1990 fit on the 1991 ie: fenders and back hatch?
Unread 11-10-2008, 09:25 PM   #9
motorheadmach1
1990 XJ Cherokee 

btw 88 xj where that fuse your talking about?
Unread 11-10-2008, 10:30 PM   #10
coppertop71

1990 XJ Cherokee 

The fuse is in the wiring harness for the TCU. The TCU is mounted up there with nuts s the easy way to get it off it to remove the panel and the you can see the harness and then look for the fuse.

See page two

http://www.transonline.com/transdige...ers/index.html

Another tranny writeup

http://members.fortunecity.com/90limited/

I wonder to if the TPS sensor could be causing the problem half of it controls the throttle the other half controls parts of the tranny.

The kick down cable is attached to the throttle body linkage there is a "D" shaped button on top of the cable housing push it down then slide the plastic insert around the end of the cable back into the housing with the button still down open the throttle wide open and it will pulled the insert back out into proper position.
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, 4.0 4:11 gears

'90 Cherokee XJ,W/'91 4.0L reman/ 3.5" RE lift, W/31" M/S tires, 4:11 Gears W/Speedo gear change/ Aluminum Coolant Tank
A/C Conversion/Home Built Roof Rack/K&N Box Filter
Derale 15" Rigid Radiator Fan PT# DER-17415, through Summit W/2"X5/8X5/8"" spacer

Jeep Pic's
coppertop71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.