1990 XJ ignition stuck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1990 XJ ignition stuck

Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 05-03-2014, 02:10 AM   #1
CPD32
1999 TJ Wrangler 

1990 XJ ignition stuck

Help!! Was having trouble turning the key in the ignition and getting it out sometimes. Yesterday I had the ignition lock cylinder changed and im still having the same problem! Its a 90 4.0 auto with tilt.

CPD32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 03:08 PM   #2
CPD32
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone?!
CPD32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Those old GM ignitions and columns just suck and wear out over time. Every XJ I've had with them didn't even need a key to start anymore. I could just grab the tabs on the ignition and turn it. I know it's not really the answer you want to hear and I can't help with your specific issue but it's something to be aware of.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2014, 08:58 AM   #4
UrsaVictrix
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm gathering from the forums it might be an issue of the jeep thinking it isn't in park and not releasing the key. Did you find a way to fix it.. I have the same problem.
UrsaVictrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2014, 01:30 PM   #5
UrsaVictrix
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Mine turned out to be an old key... the other key works fine. I learned about some other possibilities if you still need a solution.. but it's been a month or so. Hopefully you figured it out already.
UrsaVictrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.