1990 xj dying while driving - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1990 xj dying while driving

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 11-11-2010, 11:08 PM   #1
anderson5290
1998 XJ Cherokee 

1990 xj dying while driving

I'd say about 1 out of every 5 times i go somewhere in my jeep, less than a quarter mile down the road my jeep just dies. When it does that it wont start easy after that. The starter has to turn the engine over like 30 times before it starts and then wen it finally does start it revs to about 2000 rpm and stays there for 5-7 seconds. Im thinking its something to do with the fuel pump but I dont really know. please help

anderson5290 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 07:31 AM   #2
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Renix (87-90) vehicles are very sensitive to grounds. I always start by recommending that you disassemble the grounds, clean them thoroughly until shiny, then reconnect.

What is the status of your tuneup hardware? Plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor need to be fresh so that you have a solid ignition system.

Cleaning the throttle body and idle air control is never a bad idea as they get carboned up over time and miles.

Testing AND adjusting your throttle position sensor is something you should do as well.

Start with simple stuff and maintenance based items first; then see where you are at.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
Shotgun45
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Great tips.
Shotgun45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 07:59 AM   #4
dukie564
1995 XJ Cherokee 

three letters:

C
P
S
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-danger-cart-xj-1297118/
dukie564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
anderson5290
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Brand new spark plug wires (best kragen sells), brand new diamond fire E3 spark plugs, brand new distributor cap, brand new idle air control sensor on throttle body. Always do maintenece and change all fluids on time with royal purple. Jeep is very well taken care of. Sensors have been going out alot lately and its hard figuring out which one is messing up next. I'll b going to pick a part soon cuz i think my TPS is going out. Dukie564, how sure are u on the crankshaft position sensor? thanks
anderson5290 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
dukie564
1995 XJ Cherokee 

pretty sure - same thing happened on mine, it would randomly die - didn't matter if i was stopped at a stop light or driving 65 down the interstate. Sometimes kicked right back on, other times took 5-10 minutes to start again.

easy way to find out - if the rpm gauge IMMEDIATELY and very quickly drops to zero when it quits while driving, that's a pretty dead giveaway.

Trust me...it will get worse. It's like a $50 part, just change it
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-danger-cart-xj-1297118/
dukie564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.