1990 Renix to HO Swap, Is it worth it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1990 Renix to HO Swap, Is it worth it?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 10-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
jsc7002
1966 CJ5 

1990 Renix to HO Swap, Is it worth it?

I recently bought a 90 XJ with a 4.0L and it has several leaks and needs a lot of work, so I found a 93 HO motor and was wondering how hard it would be to swap in the HO or would it be best and easest to change the 93 HO to Renix?

Thanks for your help!

Unread 10-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
tbburg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Definitely easier to convert the '93 over to the renix system. You just swap all the sensors over while you do the engine change and run with it. Converting the '90 to HO wiring/computer/etc is a royal PITA It can be done, but why? You'll get most of the power increase by swapping the physical engine, and the renix system is pretty simple and robust.
Unread 10-24-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbburg View Post
Definitely easier to convert the '93 over to the renix system. You just swap all the sensors over while you do the engine change and run with it. Converting the '90 to HO wiring/computer/etc is a royal PITA It can be done, but why? You'll get most of the power increase by swapping the physical engine, and the renix system is pretty simple and robust.
Make sure you use your Renix flywheel/flexplate and distributor. Also use an intake/exhaust gasket for the Renix. I say go for it. I've done it as have others here. Any questions, post up!!
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

If you're going to swap engine mechanicals, you can swap just the head and intake (adapting the RENIX TPS to the HO throttle body) and get the same benefit.

If you're going to do a total transplant - electronics and all - I wouldn't bother unless you could get an OBD-II (1996-2001) donor. OBD-I isn't enough of an improvement to bother, I actually consider RENIX to be vastly superior (in terms of flexibility and reliability.)

Simplest overall - if you don't have a full vehicle as a donor - would be to swap the OBD-I top end on to the RENIX block, eliminate the EGR (which is ineffective on RENIX engines anyhow,) adapt the RENIX TPS to the OBD throttle body, and net significant performance improvements because the OBD-I head breathes better.

NB: Monitor your FAR after the swap - you may find you need slighly larger injectors to compensate for the increased airflow. IIRC, RENIX units are rated 19#/hr @ 39psig, you may need to get 20# or 21# units to feed the increased airflow (I want to recall that the RENIX injector duty cycle is relatively high already, and pushing a fuel injector to anything over 90%dc can result in premature failure of the unit.)
Unread 03-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
twmart
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Make sure you use your Renix flywheel/flexplate and distributor. Also use an intake/exhaust gasket for the Renix. I say go for it. I've done it as have others here. Any questions, post up!!
Cruiser have you swapped a 1996 engine into a 1990??? My daughter blew the engine in her 1990 and I just bought a complete running 1996 that has a trashed body. She drove it about an hour home and it runs GREAT...

So I am going to drive it myself a little and then do the swap. I do not plan on swaping the transfer case or trans I will keep the 1990 ones.
2001 Cherokee
twmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

I did a 1992 HO to Renix. Pretty easy. Use the distributor, intake and exhaust making sure to use the Renix gasket, Renix flexplate and all sensors. Only difference MAY be the location of the water temp sender. Renix is at the back of the head. 96 may be at thermostat housing. If that's the case, use the HO thermostat housing and extend the wires, using the Renix sender..
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.