1990 Jeep Cherokee Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1990 Jeep Cherokee Problem

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-13-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
Florentine
1990 XJ Cherokee 

1990 Jeep Cherokee Problem

So I am new to this forum, as you can tell by my posts. After all that aside, here is my problem.

I own a 1990 Jeep Cherokee. I've owned it for 1 1/2 years. It had given me some trouble, but we finally solved the problems. A couple weeks ago, my dad and I decided that we were going to replace the Oil Pump because my pressure was dropping.

So he ordered the part, we replaced it one day, put everything back together, and started the engine. A major oil leak occurred. We replaced the oil pan gasket with a rubber one, instead of the standard cork. It still leaked. So we took it in to a local garage where we get all out vehicles worked on. It ended up being the main seal for the engine, and after a $631 repair, it did not leak. So we were happy for a couple weeks. The oil pressure was staying up, we didn't have trouble starting, and the engine ran great. Well last Thursday, I started my engine to go to work, and I noticed the valves were tapping. I didn't think anything of it, because its always done that. The next day I get in, and the valves were louder. I was curious because it never did that before.

After a couple days of the valves getting louder, and no way to quiet them. It started tapping extremely loud. I would start it up, and it would rattle so loudly that you could hear it from inside the house. The valves would tap all the time. And when you accelerated, revved the engine, or just idol it would tap. But when the engine got over 2100 RPM's, it would be tapping loudly. I have no idea what is wrong with it. I read through my jeep book, and no answers on it.

Any help would be nice. I know I do not have much info on it, but its late, and I am tired. Thanks for everything.

Florentine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2009, 06:28 AM   #2
rworks

Is the oil pressure still up? Have you checked the oil level?
rworks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
rworks

Almost forgot, could be valve lifters need replacement. How old/miles/hard use does the engine have?
rworks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
Florentine
1990 XJ Cherokee 

We replaced the oil last weekend. It was full and there was no sign of a leak.

And for the mileage, it has 135834 miles, and is not ran hard. I use it everyday, but I am easy on her.
Unread 05-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
TiRod

Again, what is the oil pressure? Check the stick, don't assume you have five quarts.

Also, if you used a Fram - change it to any other quality filter. If the problem goes away, you just fixed it. Filters do fail and bypass oil, dropping pressure to zero. At one time Fram was known to use cardboard end caps on the filter media instead of crimping a metal cap.

The valves aren't tapping, it's the hydraulic lifters not receiving sufficient oil pressure. It's indicative of a bypassing oil filter, clogged oil pickup, sheared pump drive, or clogged lifter valley oil passage. As the dealer had the pan off for the rear main seal repair, it's possible some junk got into the oil and is stuck.

The cheapest, easiest thing to check is replace the filter first.
TiRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

not to hijack...Fram does use cardboard in their filters thus the reason they are always free at the autostores LOL

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
Florentine
1990 XJ Cherokee 

When I would start up the vehicle, the pressure would go up to 40 PSI. It would stay up until the engine would heat up to 160 degrees. Then the pressure would drop to 10 PSI by the time it reached 210 Degrees. Then once I would stop, the pressure would almost be 0, hit the gas and it would go up to 10.
Unread 05-15-2009, 12:28 AM   #8
Mattster
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Sure its the lifters and not a rod knock?
Mattster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2009, 12:53 AM   #9
micheal96712
1990 XJ Cherokee 

either way i wouldn't run it too long with that low oil pressure.. i agree with these other guys on getting a new filter first.. TIRod knows what he's talking about.. its weird that you loose pressure as the engine warms? what viscosity oil do you use?
micheal96712 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
Mystifire
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A buddy of mine had the same issue this weekend when we were out wheeling. Oil pressure started out high, then dropped to zero after being at operating temp for a few minutes. He let it sit for 10 minutes and it started up at normal pressure and again dropped after several minutes.

Any ideas?
Mystifire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2009, 07:33 PM   #11
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

It is normal for the pressure to drop when the engine reaches operating temperature. It is not normal for it to go to zero though. You also need 6 quarts of oil not five. I would rent/buy a manual oil pressure guage and install it to verify oil pressure.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.