1990 jeep cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1990 jeep cherokee

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 02-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
2drlongarm
1990 XJ Cherokee 

1990 jeep cherokee

I have a 1990 jeep Cherokee that i recently discovered had a gas leak at the number one and number three injector so i took both those o rings and replaced them it fixed the problem so i thought it sealed for about a day until the next morning i came out and now my inlet line to the fuel rail was leaking so i replaced the o rings in the line and it worked then i came out a day later to start it and realized that number 1 and 3 were leaking again so i decided that there was a bunch of carbon in the injector hole so i cleaned them all out and put the injectors back in it seemed to work until today i cam out and started it up and the leak is back at 1 and 3 again I'm not sure if it is a fuel pressure issue or not it just seems funny every time i fix it it seal up for about a day any help would be greatly appreciated

2drlongarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
XJNUTTIER
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2drlongarm View Post
I have a 1990 jeep Cherokee that i recently discovered had a gas leak at the number one and number three injector so i took both those o rings and replaced them it fixed the problem so i thought it sealed for about a day until the next morning i came out and now my inlet line to the fuel rail was leaking so i replaced the o rings in the line and it worked then i came out a day later to start it and realized that number 1 and 3 were leaking again so i decided that there was a bunch of carbon in the injector hole so i cleaned them all out and put the injectors back in it seemed to work until today i cam out and started it up and the leak is back at 1 and 3 again I'm not sure if it is a fuel pressure issue or not it just seems funny every time i fix it it seal up for about a day any help would be greatly appreciated
Well it is kinda suspect, and I would almost think a build up in pressure would cause a condition like that, but I am not 100% sure,m Have you done a pressure test to the rail? Seems to make sense, the weakest link blowing, but to lose 2 o rings that your origionally replaced is what baffles me.. How are things in York? I am going to be there at my buddies house in the morning, to help him with his 01 XJ.. Do you know Andy Green, with the 8 inch long arm 01 XJ on 35's that got rolled in October?
XJNUTTIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
2drlongarm
1990 XJ Cherokee 

No i don't know Andy green I didn't pressure test the fuel rail but its a good idea i have no clue why it would be doing this other then it just had the fuel pump replaced I'm not sure if that would have something to do with it or not
Unread 02-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
XJNUTTIER
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2drlongarm View Post
No i don't know Andy green I didn't pressure test the fuel rail but its a good idea i have no clue why it would be doing this other then it just had the fuel pump replaced I'm not sure if that would have something to do with it or not
Yeah just curious man, he lives behind the prision in that area back there in the developments.. anyways, yeah that is something to really consider then, it may have too much pressure and is knockin out the weakest link, AKA being your 20 year old heat worn seals.. I would try to get your hands on a pressure tester, and test that fuel rail, and again it may even be the fuel pressure regualtor, and when you did your fuel pump, that may have not been the issue in the 1st palce, know what I am saying?
XJNUTTIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
slimpartywagon
1989 XJ Cherokee 

had same issue, different two injectors (3 and 6) ... found it to be bad injectors. replaced the injectors and no more issues since
slimpartywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
robdoggydog1
1970 CJ5 

id take it apart and replace all 13 orings (1 for regulator on front of rail) with some quality rings from the dealer if possible. also... are all hold down bolts for the fuel secure? i.e only one bolt holding the rail in place or none all ?
robdoggydog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 04:40 AM   #7
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

That vintage of injector is notorious for leaking at a crimp/seam. You need new ones, all 6 of them. Quit messing around before you burn your Jeep to the ground.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #8
2drlongarm
1990 XJ Cherokee 

when i replaced the leaking o rings for the first time i inspected the others and there all good they haven't leaked yet it just seems like a pressure issue because none of the o rings didn't touch don't leak i thought maybe when i put the new ones in it would cause the old ones to leak but yet it keeps coming back to the same injectors with the new o rings it dosen't make sense to me its

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.