1990 Cherokee will not upshift (transmission? computer?electrical?) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1990 Cherokee will not upshift (transmission? computer?electrical?)

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
davidtwyman
2007 KJ Liberty 

1990 Cherokee will not upshift (transmission? computer?electrical?)

I drive a 1990 Jeep Cherokee, 4WD, 4.0L, automatic. It only has 80,000 miles on it but it drives weird. I have to get up to 35mph and 4200rpm for the Jeep to "upshift" into the next gear. Then, I have to go almost 65mph and 4200rpm to get the Jeep to upshift again. I have to begin the whole process over again if the Jeep falls below 25mph (after reaching 35mph) and 55mph (after reaching 65mph). As you can imagine, the run-out at 35 mph and 65 mph seems like the engine is going to blow and then it finally kicks in. It makes for a miserable drive and makes driving "work" versus pleasure. I have a lot of traffic in my commute also, which makes it even worse. Also, if I punch the pedal to the floor, there is no "downshift" that kicks the Jeep into a passing gear. It just gradually gets faster with no "passing gear". The Jeep runs at 3000+rpm when I am going 65mph and it should be around 2100 rpm. I had a Mercury Cougar that had the same exact problem and it was the fan clutch (doesn't sound right, but it was). I replaced the fan clutch hoping my problem would go away, but it did not. What is my problem? It sounds like an electrical problem as sometimes it will run like a normal Jeep for a week or two, then go back to the Jeep from Hell again. The Jeep is in great shape, but I need it to perform better....or else. I have changed the TPS, fan clutch, transmission fluid, and transmission filter. Could it be the computer or the transmission computer? I could really use some expert help to diagnose this problem before I take it in to a mechanic's shop to put it under a scope. I'm a do it yourselfer and would like to fix on my own before I give in to the shop.

davidtwyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
collkid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

got that same issue and it wasn't my TPS either...
Colorado Member #89
collkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2007, 02:04 PM   #3
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

my 2000 looks like it has a mechanical downshift cable coming off the throttle body linkage.. at least the cable looks like it goes down to the tranny. maybe its broken or stuck? the tranny would think youre at wot all the time and have high shift points if thats what the cable is indeed for and its toast.
Unread 09-25-2007, 02:12 PM   #4
jfiscus
1993 XJ Cherokee 

There is indeed a tranny kickdown cable connected to the throttle body, it is supposed to be "self adjusting" but the one on my old XJ was worn out & I had to apply a hose clamp to keep it in the correct position. Check that out first, cause it's pretty simple to fix.

There is also a TCU under your dash that might be shot? I think I have a couple of these in the garage if you're in need of one.
Local to Cincinnati, Ohio? Check out our club! [url]http://www.terrainstompers.com[/url]
jfiscus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2007, 12:15 PM   #5
davidtwyman
2007 KJ Liberty 

Can you identify the transmission kickdown cable next to the throttle body with a picture, please? I think I might see what you are talking about, but I do not see any way to adjust it.
If that doesn't work....I'll try anything....I'll try the TCU off of my father's 90 Cherokee to see if it works.
Did you ever get yours fixed? If so, what was the culprit?
Unread 11-20-2008, 04:10 PM   #6
davidtwyman
2007 KJ Liberty 

FIXED!!!!!
The problem was a bad TPS. The new one I put in was defective. I found this out when I purchased another one and it solved a problem I have had for several months.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.