1990 Cherokee Laredo 4.0L won't start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1990 Cherokee Laredo 4.0L won't start

Road Race Motorsports Fuel Calibrator for the 2007-2011 JKIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-26-2006, 10:02 PM   #1
thjofe

1990 Cherokee Laredo 4.0L won't start

I have been experiencing this problem for several weeks now.

It will run fine for days and then all of a sudden NOTHING.

I have checked several things for the cause of the problem i.e.; Fuel Pump, Fuel Pump Relay, Fuel Filter, etc...

I was reading that it might be the Cranckshaft Position Sensor?? I was told that it was located on the driver's side of the bellhousing and it was a PITA to get off but for some reason I cannot locate this mystery part?? there is nothing on the drivers side of the bellhousing on my JEEP and now my JEEP is not starting at all. It usally starts after awhile but today it just cranks and cranks

anything anyone can suggest would be GREAT!!!

thjofe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2006, 06:09 AM   #2
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Look into the engine compartment and floow the bell housing up and down till you find a wiring harness (couple of wires in a loom) coming out of it. The sensor is pretty well recessed into the housing.

Find it and find the connector for it. Disconnect it and reconnect it a couple of times to clear the contacts. The try it again.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2006, 09:57 PM   #3
severous01

also look into a factory alarm. my chip fried and was making a semi-connection...sometimes. i had to remove the alarm and then i had no problems...and still dont over 5k miles later...happy as can be.

oh, an easy way to test this is to short the starter relay (with it in neutral or park) and see if it still starts...or beat the starter a few times with a deadblow or rubber mallet to see if it's the starter.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2006, 11:07 PM   #4
xjawgi

that thing on the bellhousing is a crank position sensor, and yes it could be the cause of your no start problem.
xjawgi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2006, 11:30 PM   #5
Jeepin_XJ_101
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjawgi
that thing on the bellhousing is a crank position sensor, and yes it could be the cause of your no start problem.

11 O'Clock position of the bellhousing if your looking from the tranny, 1 O'Clock if your looking from the engine bay. The connector is right behind the throttle body. It is held on the bellhousing by 2 bolts spaced like 2 inches apart with the sensor inbetween. Hope that was descriptive enough.

2005 WK 4.7L 3.5" RK, 255/75R17 on Rubi Wheels
1992 YJ 4.0L 5" ProComp on 35x12.50 Trxus MT
Jeepin_XJ_101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.