1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo Build - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo Build

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 11-19-2008, 08:24 PM   #91
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

since the lat post i have trimmed my rear fenders and have most the materials to do my fender fixing. sanding and smoothing out the rough spots and stuff...

also found a place to get the right all thread for my e-brake issue. that should be handled within the next week.

also got the right exhaust parts today. probly not gonna put it on tonite. i think i will tomorrow though if i have time.

thats all for now. i think.

-Sean

Unread 11-19-2008, 08:29 PM   #92
keaton
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89SAFARIXJ;6009831}
and i was wondering if anybody knew anything about these lower trim pieces. i stuck my hi-lift jack right there a while ago and it smooshed it. when you put rock sliders on, do you remove these? or can you? if my dad splits the cost of a welder with me, i wanna fab my own stuff, and might think about removing those guys and replacing them with something a little tougher. like steel. hopefully this pic is good enough.
[IMG
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq1/19JeepJunk89/AfterWheelin005.jpg[/IMG]

-Sean
I wish I could fab my own stuff up. I smushed my driver side rocker in pretty good too. Lookin to get some rocker panel covers..then sidesteps.

Oh btw..Jeep looks even better covered in mud. And that 'beater' is legit.
keaton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2008, 08:33 PM   #93
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keat View Post
I wish I could fab my own stuff up. I smushed my driver side rocker in pretty good too. Lookin to get some rocker panel covers..then sidesteps.

Oh btw..Jeep looks even better covered in mud. And that 'beater' is legit.
if i was you id just get rock sliders. instead of steps and panel cover/guards. thanks on the mud comment. and that beater was a beast. i have a vid of it tearing through this huge ditch on my digital camera. cant figure out how to get it on my computer tho. it was locked up front and rear. just a trailer wheeler.

-Sean
Unread 11-20-2008, 09:27 PM   #94
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

O Man You Guys Are Gonna Be So Pissed...

...when you see what i did with my exhaust. so i got everything together and went ahead and put up my magnaflow hi-flow cat. and my dynomax cat-back system. i like the sound; not too loud, but you can tell its not stock when you give it some gas. but, there were some problems. no matter what i did, the tailpipe wanted to sit crooked:

and the last clamp on the tail pipe made siamese twins with the passenger side leaf spring:

i could not live with this. so that ugly dynomax tailpipe got the cut-off wheel:

and then the old tailpipe got the cut-off wheel as well. i cut out a couple of curved sections so i could decide which one would work best for my downpipe application:

and this is what i came up with:

it goes up and over the rear axle like the stock pipe, then takes a quick turn down and away from the leaf spring right before the gas tank, and points more or less towards the ground. i clamped that old piece of exhaust pipe on REALLY REALLY tight. i dont think it will ever come off. its kind of ugly, but functional because it will not, should not, be hit on any thing because it drops right after the axle. and it isnt too close to the axle so the rear will still be able to flex fine. besides, who cares if its ugly, for the most part im the only one who crawls under and looks. and that stock tail pipe, well it pretty much sucked balls. now i need to clean my garage. stuff has been piling up:

-Sean
Unread 11-21-2008, 02:19 PM   #95
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

drove around today and i can actually feel a difference in having this system on. it seems a lot smoother when stepping on the gas. i like it.

-Sean
Unread 11-25-2008, 09:49 PM   #96
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Did Some Wheeling Today

took my cherokee to capital forest today. went with my buddy and his nissan. not many pics but here ya go. we started off by gassing up. $1.99 per gallon:

we found a trecherous mud pit with a climb at the end:

my friend tried:

and had an epic fail:

he only tried one route though and we didnt have all day cuz it was getting dark. so i yanked him out, we screwed around a little more, and headed home. i only got one good pic of my jeep. and its not even good:

-Sean
Unread 11-25-2008, 10:21 PM   #97
XJKipp
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Man, your rig has certainly come a long way...looks good!

Georgia Institute of Technology
Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech
XJKipp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2008, 09:54 AM   #98
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

thanks! yeah i was looking back at your first post in my build thread, when it was stock...
Unread 12-04-2008, 07:20 PM   #99
BulldogTJ98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That trecherous mud hill/climb is lookin pretty wet compared to when I went through it a couple of months ago. I only live 15 minutes from RC mountain. What a fun place to relieve some stress or take out people you work with and watch them break their sh*t.

[SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="Orange"]'98 TJ 4.0L, AX-15 5spd, NP231, RE 4.5 rear, 3"&.75" BB front, JKS discos, 33x12.50 KM2s on Rock Crawlers, 3.73s, Dana30 front, Dana 44 rear, JB Conversions SS SYE, JKS HD Tierod, Warn 8274 Winch, Front Stinger and Rear stinger w/ tire carrier, Rokmen Corners, Aluminum Radiator, LED tailights, Rock Lights, KCs, K&N airfilter, Optima Redtop, Cobra CB and a Sony soundbar[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
BulldogTJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 08:22 PM   #100
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogTJ98 View Post
That trecherous mud hill/climb is lookin pretty wet compared to when I went through it a couple of months ago. I only live 15 minutes from RC mountain. What a fun place to relieve some stress or take out people you work with and watch them break their sh*t.
dude that hill climb was disgusting. i wanna go back and try it in my jeep,. but seriously, i went there once again last saturday night, and, shoot heres the story...

so we get out there at about 7:30pm, rock candy that is. my buddy is leading the way in his nissan with 31's, then my other buddy in his nissan on 33's, and then me with my jeep. we rally up at the parking by the bottom and see a couple full size chevy's come through. dudes sucked balls at wheelin ill tell you that. couldnt make it up this little hill thing that i go up in two wheel drive. anyways, we were gonna go up the mountain and find some tight trails to squeeze through, but were once again distracted by that nasty mud. we head out, see a couple more full sizes, and go straight for the mud bog by the pipe line. for those of you who dont know, it's a straight up mud bog pit for the better part of a mile with a few resting spots on the way and a couple easier paths on the sides. we are in the same order, and we all make it through the easier trails with not too many problems. nobody got stuck, nothing. then we come to this spot where its do or die. the nissan on 31's takes the trail all the way to the right, while the rest of us wait and watch. he strattles the ruts to the right, so that his drivers side tires are between the set, and his passenger side tires are all the way to the right, off of the trail practically. he gets about one quarter of the way down this mud bog section, and the drivers side tires slip into the passenger side rut. he tried rocking his truck back and forth, but he had nothin. he was F-ing stuck like a mother. on 31's...

the other nissan gets out of my way and i go in for the kill. ive got the tow hooks in the front and ive pulled him out before, so i thought, ill just go in forwards. and what do you know, i did my best, and still slipped into the ruts. i was stuck too then. so here come the two full size chevy's, tearin it up on their 36's or whatever. one of the dudes had a huge *** come along, so we borrowed it and got my rig out. he said my friends nissan was a nother story. so they take off down the mud bog, and both make it all the way to the end. they chill, and then come back maybe a half an hour later. and guess what, both of them got stuck. diggin themselves nice holes with them huge *** tires of theirs. then here come some more trucks. one guy has a GMC sittin on 35's, and the other guy has an old late 60's early 70's or something ford on 38.5 boggers. things got a 460 in it. SOB was loud as hell. anyways we had called our buddy to come bring us two more come alongs and more chain so we could get his nissan to the closest tree. his toyota is stock, so when he arrived, my friend and i walked all the way out to before the serious mud and met him to carry the new gear back.

when we get back, the two full size chevys are out, curtosey of the giant ford. the guy is all pumped from pullin those other two trucks out, and ecides he will back into the ruts and get our nissan out too. dude backs in, hooks up, and digs himself right down to where he's just sittin on diffs. took those guys over an hour to get him out. so he gets out, and all the full size guys leave us by ourselves. that whole part of the night was nuts cus there was over 15 guys out there in that mud pit.

anyways, it takes some man power, but we get my friend out. we turn to head back, and half way to rock candy road, im hittin the gas, and not goin nowhere. no, i was not in neutral, or park. my friend hops out and says, "dude, youre leakin tranny fluid!" i didnt think we could be out there longer, it was 2am, i was covered in mud from head to toe, and i couldnt see a spec of paint on my jeep. turns out one of the lines up front underneath the readiator came apart and a joint, and all my tranny fluid went for a ride. so as we are finding the leak, two more guys went for a ride for some tranny fluid. i have to lay on my back in the muddy mess to get off my skidplate so i can get to the hose. ive got tranny fluid and mud dripping on my face, etc. when they came back, luckily they brought type F (for Fords) NOT. we ghetto rigged the tranny line, threw the skidplate in the back of my buds nissan filled her up with some type F, and floored it before more leaked out.

i did 70-75mph on the freeway headed home, and luckily felt no tranny slip. pulled in my drive at about 3:15am. what a fricken night! i was so muddy i just stumbled my tired *** up to the front porch, dropped my pants andeverything else there, and headed straight for the shower. fell asleep around 4am and then got up at 8am for work. woo! what a day at work. my dad was all tore about how i came home late, but hey, sh*t happens.

and just tonite i finally got my jeep clean inside and out. i will not be doing muddin like that for a little while atleast. there is mud in cracks that my jeep didnt even know it had.

-Sean
Unread 12-04-2008, 09:53 PM   #101
blackblazer92
1989 XJ Cherokee 

haha great job on your jeep it looks sweet and it sounds like you are having a great time with it.
project build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/my-new-cherokee-project-590872/
blackblazer92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #102
BulldogTJ98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Haha dang man. Ive had nights like that. Brings back some memories of me at previous mud boggs with my buddies. Somebody always breaks something. Thanks for the story bro! and Good luck with the cleaning/repairing process!

[SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="Orange"]'98 TJ 4.0L, AX-15 5spd, NP231, RE 4.5 rear, 3"&.75" BB front, JKS discos, 33x12.50 KM2s on Rock Crawlers, 3.73s, Dana30 front, Dana 44 rear, JB Conversions SS SYE, JKS HD Tierod, Warn 8274 Winch, Front Stinger and Rear stinger w/ tire carrier, Rokmen Corners, Aluminum Radiator, LED tailights, Rock Lights, KCs, K&N airfilter, Optima Redtop, Cobra CB and a Sony soundbar[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
BulldogTJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2008, 08:50 PM   #103
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogTJ98 View Post
Haha dang man. Ive had nights like that. Brings back some memories of me at previous mud boggs with my buddies. Somebody always breaks something. Thanks for the story bro! and Good luck with the cleaning/repairing process!
yeah i finally got it "clean" last nite. and i got the tranny thing fixed a couple days ago. what a mess... even though its "clean", it still really isnt. as clean as it can be for now i guess.

-Sean
Unread 01-04-2009, 09:56 PM   #104
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

It has been a while since an update, and boy have I been busy. Here goes nothin'... in chronological order:

sanded my rear fenders and primed em.

slid on the ice and totalled a parked 80's accord hatch that was currently not running. i bent my license plate too.

had an uninsured motorist slide into my left front tire and bend my drag link, which probably caused more unseen damage.

i wired a cb.

i wired a pa.

i still havent wired the antenna. i had to wait for my walcott mount door jamb mount.

i put up two maglite mounts on the a pillars.

i popped in a pioneer DEH-P3000IB deck. its ipod ready.

put in 4 of them 5-1/4 alpine type s speaks. its *****in.

i got pulled over on 512 east on my way to crystal. got a ticket for 68 in a 60but my speedometer said 55. i knew it was off but not off that bad.

i tore it up on the moutain shortly there after. im sore it was my first trip of the season.

I have to figure out what I am going to do about the two accidents. I haven't filled out an accident report for the one where I totalled the Accord, but a deputy filed a report on the one with the uninsured motorist. The ticket on top of that is gonna blow my insurance through the roof.

-Sean
Unread 01-05-2009, 01:45 AM   #105
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

do u like the alpines...i got 4 of them also and man i really do love those type s
ajxj9197 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.