1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo Build - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo Build

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-11-2008, 11:47 AM   #76
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNJeep99 View Post
I can get to the ad, but I dont see the pics. you see the pics?
yes... i reposted again to humor what you said about not seeing the pics. i had a guy call me that night and i had to pix message him photos of the tires cuz they didnt show up yet again. i think it has something to do with craigslist cuz i never make mistakes.

in the end i still dont know why they dont show up two ads in a row.

-Sean

Unread 11-11-2008, 11:49 AM   #77
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNJeep99 View Post
It's always like Christmas when stuff comes from the shipping guy! Have fun w/ the install!
thanks! i also ordered a 2.5" clamp for the downpipe to the cat liek you said in your exhaust installation. hopefully i have all the parts. im about to get started.

-Sean
Unread 11-11-2008, 02:10 PM   #78
keaton
2003 TJ Wrangler 

damn dude..that exhaust setup looks sweeeet! cant wait to hear it.
keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #79
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keat View Post
damn dude..that exhaust setup looks sweeeet! cant wait to hear it.
unfortunatley i ordered all the parts for the newer model cherokees. i sent it all back today and in return they will exchange it for me for the right exhaust parts andhopefully refund the rest of the money back into my checking account so i can put it towards my drivetrain overhaul.... what a waste of a day.

this is how my muffler will be for another week atleast...

but hey, they sent a complimentary gift with my order...

in the end, i still think its got a mean lookin stance right now...
Unread 11-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #80
keaton
2003 TJ Wrangler 

damn..that sucks man..well at least you get them exchanged.

mean lookin stance for sure.
keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #81
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keat View Post
damn..that sucks man..well at least you get them exchanged.

mean lookin stance for sure.
agreed on everything.
Unread 11-11-2008, 04:13 PM   #82
92XJCowboy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

you have a great looking jeep I really like the lift and tire combo.

I put a thrush turbo single in dual out on my cherokee and it sounds freakin awesome, loud as h*** when you want it to be and a good lower rumble at idle. I ripped it off on a rock on friday so I decided to make it legal again and put my cat back on because of this I had to put my glasspack on that sounds like crap until I get the right adapter from the cat-muffler.

Do you want 6,000 acres of land open to OHV's?
Sign the petition for Northumberland OHV Park
92XJCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #83
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93xjcowboy View Post
you have a great looking jeep I really like the lift and tire combo.

I put a thrush turbo single in dual out on my cherokee and it sounds freakin awesome, loud as h*** when you want it to be and a good lower rumble at idle. I ripped it off on a rock on friday so I decided to make it legal again and put my cat back on because of this I had to put my glasspack on that sounds like crap until I get the right adapter from the cat-muffler.
thanks man.

that sounds cool. but see, exhaust issues suck, dont they?
Unread 11-11-2008, 04:20 PM   #84
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89SAFARIXJ View Post
yes... i reposted again to humor what you said about not seeing the pics. i had a guy call me that night and i had to pix message him photos of the tires cuz they didnt show up yet again. i think it has something to do with craigslist cuz i never make mistakes.

in the end i still dont know why they dont show up two ads in a row.

-Sean
im quoting myself here, "i never make mistakes"...

look what happened with my exhaust set up.

ooooooo bad karma...

Last edited by 89SAFARIXJ; 11-11-2008 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: karma
89SAFARIXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2008, 10:15 PM   #85
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

11-13-08

had a fun day with the jeep. helped my buddy pull this beat up blazer out of a field. threw my tow strap on it and tugged right out through the slick grass and muck. no problem in 4 low. pulled it out on the street, threw it in 3rd gear, and tugged it to the JY. our plans were to look for a Dana 44 or 97+ 8.25, but the JY apparently has "winter hours" from 9-4. we got there at like 4:10pm. disapointing. but my friend dropped the blazer off cuz he knows a guy that works there. hopefully i can find a Dana 44 there soon and he can get me a deal.

disappointed about the no-go on the whole rear axle thing, we snagged some pizza, met up with some buddys, and did some wheelin. i drove it up a shallow part of the Nisqually River which was a little nerve racking because my buddy was like, "GO GO GO!" and i just had this feeling. we dropped into some deep spots that almost went over the hood on the filter side. i didnt get stuck though. i was glad when i pulled out cuz the last thing i need is to be hydrolocked. i did a pretty large ledge drop too. scared the piss outta myself. had the cherokee pretty much vertical. straight up and down a few times tonite. did a nice rocky hill climb that only took 3 tries for a pretty beginner wheeler. i didnt do too bad. also rolled over a bouldery section that was really easy to manuver through. all in all it was a good night to test out the new tires and the capability of the rig how it stands.

one thing i need to do is get those back fenders trimmed up. cuz man i was rubbin like a beast when i was fully flexed. so that is on my list for sure. gettin those rears trimmed up.

sadly... ...no pics because all the wheeling was in the dark. and what makes me slightly aggrivated... ...is the fact that none of these guys are interested in picture taking. i really like takin the pics to preserve the memory.

in the end it was a decent outing. tested out the tires and the flex. learned a few things regarding wheeling techniques. scared myself ****less that i was gonna roll my DD. and go some tasty pizza at the local Round Table. mmm mmm good.

-Sean
Unread 11-14-2008, 09:12 PM   #86
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Just A Few Pics:

wanted to share one of my cherokee inspirations. this thing looks like a beater but it wheeled like a beast. this was up at elbe.

here's a few pics of my jeep that i just took. just showin off some mud from last night.

and i was wondering if anybody knew anything about these lower trim pieces. i stuck my hi-lift jack right there a while ago and it smooshed it. when you put rock sliders on, do you remove these? or can you? if my dad splits the cost of a welder with me, i wanna fab my own stuff, and might think about removing those guys and replacing them with something a little tougher. like steel. hopefully this pic is good enough.

-Sean
Unread 11-15-2008, 11:00 PM   #87
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

wanna know whats sad? im the only one who posts in my build thread....

just askin for an opinion here. the 1" tnt boomerang shackles are scheduled to come monday. should i take those and the coil spacers i have and throw them on for an extra 1" of lift all the way around? or do you think it sits good right where its at?

-Sean
Unread 11-16-2008, 05:57 AM   #88
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

when you get rock sliders they will be attached below your rocker panels (the section that you bent w/ ur hi-lift jack). They attach to the uni-body "frame rails" and the pinch seems. I would recommend AJs Offroad Armor for those, also I would get the Super Rails or Square Rails, not the cheapest ones they have because the Supers/Squares will protect your doors also. Now if you wanted to do more extreme you can actually remove the stock rocker panels and install something like FormattFab.com has for their rocker replacements (which I am going to get). You can also build either of the two options listed above on your own but these are just ideas, to build your own I would look up EricsXJ's build on here. He fab'd his own and they are amazing.

I am going with the FormattFab.com rocker replacements because that price sounds good to me and my brother is dieing to work on the XJ with me, so if you can weld I'd personally suggest those. Though I haven't heard anything about them, their other products just look very well made.

I guess Formatt Fab's website is down temporarily but.........its www.formattfab.com

Last edited by nrpalmer32; 11-16-2008 at 06:07 AM..
nrpalmer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 11:43 AM   #89
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrpalmer32 View Post
when you get rock sliders they will be attached below your rocker panels (the section that you bent w/ ur hi-lift jack). They attach to the uni-body "frame rails" and the pinch seems. I would recommend AJs Offroad Armor for those, also I would get the Super Rails or Square Rails, not the cheapest ones they have because the Supers/Squares will protect your doors also. Now if you wanted to do more extreme you can actually remove the stock rocker panels and install something like FormattFab.com has for their rocker replacements (which I am going to get). You can also build either of the two options listed above on your own but these are just ideas, to build your own I would look up EricsXJ's build on here. He fab'd his own and they are amazing.

I am going with the FormattFab.com rocker replacements because that price sounds good to me and my brother is dieing to work on the XJ with me, so if you can weld I'd personally suggest those. Though I haven't heard anything about them, their other products just look very well made.

I guess Formatt Fab's website is down temporarily but.........its www.formattfab.com
thanks palmer. the fomattfab ones sound cool but id like to see them. i will keep checking back to the set to see if it comes back up.

how the 1" more of lift. should i do it? or jut leave it as is?

-Sean
Unread 11-17-2008, 09:34 PM   #90
wantabe23
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Elbe, I had a couple of friends go up there last weekend and one of them had a built toyota crush in his grill and such. Not cool.
Any way, I am slowly building up my 87' xj laredo, just got some 33's but I need to find some good wheels for them and then do some trimming. It is good to see rigs up there doing what I want to be able to do with mine. Keep on the good work, maybe Ill see you at elbe some weekend. Nice looking jeeps
wantabe23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.