1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo Build

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-25-2008, 10:36 PM   #1
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo Build

About two months ago I bought a 1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo for $1700.

Here are the specs:
4.0L I6 EFI
AW4
NP242
3.55:1 Gear Ratio
Dana 30 Front
Dana 35 Rear
Factory Tow Package
225/75R15's
Grey Exterior
Burgundy Interior

Here is a list of things that needed to be fixed/replaced:
Drivers Side Reverse Light
Drivers Side Mirror
Wipers
Washer Pumps
Dimmer Switch
Power Antenna
Belt
Idler Pulley
Sagging Headliner

But of course, since it's a Jeep, the first thing to do was lift it.

Here is a pic of it stock and ready to be lifted:

The lift kit layed out, and ready to be thrown on:

And a few pics after the lift was done:

On some logs in the driveway:

More:

And More:

Right after I finished the lift, I also tore the fenders off. I had purchased some Bushwackers but now I am considering selling them since they are still brand new and going with some TJ flares instead.

The lift:
I chose the Rough Country 4.5" Full Spring Kit. I got it for about $800.00 bucks through Top Gun Customz. If you are looking for a "complete" kit, then I would not go with Rough Country. I had to make several trips to the hardware store to pick up missing nuts and bolts. On the other hand, it is a lift kit, and it is working extremely well for my budget thus far.

Still to purhcase, repair, or install:
Wipers
Washer Pumps
Dimmer Switch
Power Antenna
Belt
Idler Pulley
Sagging Headliner
Trac Bar Axle Mount Hole (Possibly Wallowed Out)
Longer E-Brake Cables
(5) 33x12.50R15 Mud Terrains
(5) 15x8 Black Steels
Fender Flares
4.56 Gears
Deck
Speakers

Considering that I am 17 years old and attend school, work five days a week, play baseball, and have a tight budget, this build may take longer than others. I will do my best to keep this thread posted with the most up to date information on my Cherokee. My next post will include some pictures of the interior, as it has been extremely well taken care of.

Thank you for looking

-Sean

Unread 09-25-2008, 10:54 PM   #2
XJKipp
1995 XJ Cherokee 

nice job man, looking good! 130k on an '89...not bad, less than my '95!

Are you planning on installing an SYE? I didn't think I saw a tc drop...

Georgia Institute of Technology
Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech
XJKipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2008, 10:59 PM   #3
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the compliments.

There is a 1 inch transfer case drop on it. Which seems simple but for some reason it was a PITA.

I didnt plan on doing an SYE because of the tight budget. They are like a few hundred right?
Unread 09-26-2008, 10:38 PM   #4
XJKipp
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Well, if you do a hack-n-tap SYE and use a front driveshaft in the rear it can be a lot cheaper...I installed the **** HD SYE (not an H&T) and a front driveshaft and came out under $300, but I think it can be done for less, I didn't even notice the tc drop...

Yeah, I saw you had some problems with the kit hardware, that sucks, I've been in that situation before and know the frustration!

Georgia Institute of Technology
Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech
XJKipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2008, 11:49 AM   #5
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

you prbably didnt notice the t-case drop in the first lifted pic, because it wasnt on at that point. ha, sorry.

i didnt know doing a hack n tap and a front in the rear would work.... maybe that will be an upgrade in the future...
Unread 09-28-2008, 12:07 PM   #6
Toliver09
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89SAFARIXJ View Post
you prbably didnt notice the t-case drop in the first lifted pic, because it wasnt on at that point. ha, sorry.

i didnt know doing a hack n tap and a front in the rear would work.... maybe that will be an upgrade in the future...
i'm in the exact same boat, same lift kit, same high school problems. my 92 with the 4.5" kit and 31" tires. I also did the tcase drop, and so far i havent had any problems, but the 242 tcase is a bit longer than the 231 and it might be that little push to make it vibrate.

I highly recommend Pioneer speakers for your doors (and liftgate if you have speakers in it, i'm pretty sure they're all 5 1/4" in your jeep) I absolutely love mine and they were very decently priced. about $40 for 2 of them
Unread 09-28-2008, 11:45 PM   #7
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toliver09 View Post
i'm in the exact same boat, same lift kit, same high school problems. my 92 with the 4.5" kit and 31" tires. I also did the tcase drop, and so far i havent had any problems, but the 242 tcase is a bit longer than the 231 and it might be that little push to make it vibrate.

I highly recommend Pioneer speakers for your doors (and liftgate if you have speakers in it, i'm pretty sure they're all 5 1/4" in your jeep) I absolutely love mine and they were very decently priced. about $40 for 2 of them
same boat huh? guys like us need to win the lottery.

pioneers? $40 bucks for two doesnt sound too bad if the sound is good.
Unread 10-18-2008, 10:09 PM   #8
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

finally got some free time to do some work.

pulled off the serpentine belt, checked it for damage and hand spun all the pulleys. the squeak is coming from my alternator and my belt is slightly worn. im throwing on a new alternator tonite and a new belt.

also, just made a deal on some 33x12.50r15 procomp xterrains. 400 bucks for a set of 4. they have less than 2 weeks use on them. I KNOW A STEAL RIGHT?!

apparently this guy had work done on his bronco at this shop and didnt pay. he went back when his tranny went out and tried to get them to rebuild it and they said its too late you already owe us money. so they are impounding/parting his bronco. they didnt wanna impound 2 week old x terrains so they are making some cash off them. the guy and i are kind of buddies so i got a deal. SWEET!

more pics soon.
Unread 10-19-2008, 01:08 AM   #9
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Update

Got the alternator in tonight. easy as pie.

put the new belt on. pita.

the reason for it being a pita is because it was about 1 inch shorter than the older, stretched out one.

so i got everything tightened up and back together, and guess what? dead battery. so now i wont be able to hear it run without squeaking til tomorrow evening. gonna take the old alternator back tomorrow morning tho and get my $20.00 core. it was $113.00 so that will shave a little cost off the top.

What's Been Replaced/Fixed/Accomplished Recently:
Power Antenna (pulled it up with my fingers and left the fuse out. now i can just push it down when im wheelin and leave it up for the street.)
Belt

Left To Do:
Wipers
Washer Pumps
Dimmer Switch
Sagging Headliner
Trac Bar Axle Mount Hole (Possibly Wallowed Out)
Wheel Cylinders (Got em)
Longer E-Brake Cables (Got em)
(5) 33x12.50R15 Mud Terrains (Very Soon)
(5) 15x8 Black Steels (Soon)
Fender Flares (TJ's or Relocate Stocks?)
4.56 Gears (Far Off)
Deck
Speakers
Unread 10-19-2008, 07:37 AM   #10
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

So you're going to run 4.56s and 33x12.5s on a D35? If you're going to lock that, or do much serious wheeling you might want to add an axle upgrade to your list prior to dumping any money into the 35.
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2008, 02:23 PM   #11
oldmanriver
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJKipp View Post
Well, if you do a hack-n-tap SYE and use a front driveshaft in the rear it can be a lot cheaper...I installed the **** HD SYE (not an H&T) and a front driveshaft and came out under $300, but I think it can be done for less, I didn't even notice the tc drop...

Yeah, I saw you had some problems with the kit hardware, that sucks, I've been in that situation before and know the frustration!
For us early model guys you have to get an extra flange/adapter for the tailcone of the transfer case, so a HnT comes out to be near the same as a HD sye. Still got one myself so I didnt have to get into the tcase

My xj has a grey twin!

Lookin good

'90 xj: Wrecked, waiting for the day it can become a full blown trail rig.

'00 wj SOLD (still in family)
oldmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2008, 07:48 PM   #12
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecompco View Post
So you're going to run 4.56s and 33x12.5s on a D35? If you're going to lock that, or do much serious wheeling you might want to add an axle upgrade to your list prior to dumping any money into the 35.
well the 33's i am picking up tuesday and i figure i could run them on the d35. but the gears are kind of far away. how much is it gonna run me to upgrade to a d44? got any ballpark figures?
Unread 10-19-2008, 08:39 PM   #13
oldmanriver
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89SAFARIXJ View Post
well the 33's i am picking up tuesday and i figure i could run them on the d35. but the gears are kind of far away. how much is it gonna run me to upgrade to a d44? got any ballpark figures?
If you just want to bolt it up, the problem is more finding one than the cost of it (unless you go to a jeep-savvy place who knows what theyre worth)

An 8.25 with the 29 splines are nearly as good, definitly still an upgrade from the d35. Plus theyre almost as easy to find as d35s so you dont have to worry about parts. You could also look for a manual and get a little gear upgrade in the process if you wanted to swap out the front one while your at it, kill 2 birds with one stone

'90 xj: Wrecked, waiting for the day it can become a full blown trail rig.

'00 wj SOLD (still in family)
oldmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2008, 09:08 PM   #14
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanriver View Post
If you just want to bolt it up, the problem is more finding one than the cost of it (unless you go to a jeep-savvy place who knows what theyre worth)

An 8.25 with the 29 splines are nearly as good, definitly still an upgrade from the d35. Plus theyre almost as easy to find as d35s so you dont have to worry about parts. You could also look for a manual and get a little gear upgrade in the process if you wanted to swap out the front one while your at it, kill 2 birds with one stone
i like that idea.... but right now i have this problem....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/no-power-anywhere-620650/
Unread 10-20-2008, 09:25 PM   #15
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

So what i thought was my dimmer switch not allowing my instrument panel to light up, was actually a 5 amp fuse.

grrr.... well, one more thing off the list.

New Parts/Accomplishments:
Instrument Panel Illumination
Drivers Side Reverse Light
Drivers Side Mirror
Power Antenna (Made It a Manual )
Starter
Starter Solenoid
Alternator
Belt
Lifted 4.5"

ALSO, should be gettin a set of 33x12.50r15 X-Terrains tomorrow!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.