1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 09-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
rubenroblesj

1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo

I have an 1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo that I had parked for about three years. I started it occasionally at first but this last year I hadn't started it at all. So far I am not getting any fuel at the fuel rail. I had replaced the fuel pump about eight months before I parked it. I replaced the fuel pump ballast resistor since those tend to go out quite often. When I try starting the Jeep, it cranks and cranks but won't start. The Ballast resistor gets smoking hot, and once the ballast resistor wire on the Starter Relay side burnt. I replace the wire and decided to check the jeep for any electrical shorts. So far I have noticed that under the jeep at the fuel pump electrical connector (pigtail)when disconnected and tested with a test light, the connectors have juice, but once connected and tested at the wires going into the fuel pump there is no juice. Any advice????? Please...

Is it possible for the Fuel Pump to have a short and be causing the power to return to its original source causing some kind of short???

rubenroblesj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
jlmoore143

Could be something with the ignition. Maybe bad. Try replacing the cam position sensor.
jlmoore143 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmoore143 View Post
Could be something with the ignition. Maybe bad. Try replacing the cam position sensor.
89 has no cam position sensor.

OP: Inspect the relays on the passenger inner fender and the associated wiring. Any chance some rodents got in there and chewed stuff up?
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.