1989 Emissions Maintenace light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1989 Emissions Maintenace light

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!2003-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight Dark Background wi

Unread 04-18-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
snwwlkr7

1989 Emissions Maintenace light

First off I have a 1990 Cherokee with 4.0/auto/4x4/2" lift with 244,000 miles..I have had it for 5 or 6 yrs since around 150,000 miles unbelievably dependable and have had to do basically nothing but little things to it...Still runs great...It is starting to get a little tired though...You'll like this one though...I just bought a very sweet 1989 4.0/Auto/4x4/242 transfer case/sunroof/ all stock garage kept with 67,000 original miles...Yes ...67K..It does have a few small issues due to age and sitting a lot, one of which is it has a light on the left side of the dash that shows.."Emiss Maint"..I did some searching and it appears it may just be a dummy light that comes on at a predetermined mileage...Given this how do I turn it off????

snwwlkr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2006, 03:14 PM   #2
snwwlkr7

I know someone knows the answer??

Yes..I know someone on here knows the answer they just need to see I'm asking....
Unread 04-24-2006, 03:56 PM   #3
xxxflhrci

If it is like my '89 YJ, there is a box under the driver's side dash that you can unplug to turn the light off. The box is basically a timer. You emmissions won't be affected if you unplug the box.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2006, 04:10 PM   #4
88XJ_WI
1988 XJ Cherokee 

The emission timer is located under the dash next to the steering column. On vehicles with cruise control, the timer is located behind the cruise control module.

96 Grand Cherokee 4.0 145,000 miles
88XJ_WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2006, 02:40 PM   #5
snwwlkr7

Good answer

Yes it worked...the emission's timer box is indead under the dash on the right side of the steering column...It is up close to the bottom of the dash but easily visible from the floorboard area...Mine was black with some clear on it about 2/3 the size of a cigarette pack......Unplugged it and no more light....If for some strange reason it causes problems after driving it some I will update this post...Thanks...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.