did some trading and got my hands on a ratty xj that I've been wrenching on for a couple of months now. I got the brakes fixed, one of the oil leaks, and diff cover leak fixed. Now I am trying to figure out why it wont go in 4wd. The lever will go into 4H (wont go into anything else) but wont engage and there is a grind noise almost like some gears aren't fully meshed. Got underneath and I am completely confused. Can anyone direct me to a diagram, explain to me how the linkage is suppose to work, or give me any tips on how to diagnose the problem?
SHIFT LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT
(1) Shift transfer case into 4L position. (make sure your shifter is fully in the 4L position)
(2) Raise vehicle.
(3) Loosen lock bolt on adjusting trunnion (Fig.
(4) Be sure linkage rod slides freely in trunnion.
Clean rod and apply spray lube if necessary.
(5) Verify that transfer case range lever is fully
engaged in 4L position. (you can do this under the vehicle at the transfer case)
(6) Tighten adjusting trunnion lock bolt.
(7) Lower vehicle
Originally Posted by chris87xj
If you own a Renix Jeep, you'll want to check this out. >
An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.