2Likes
  • 1 Post By S8NNG8
  • 1 Post By S8NNG8

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 03-09-2016, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Jeep88lxj
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Xj 1988 cuts off randomly

I have a 1988 Jeep Cherokee XJ Laredo and I have been struggling with this cutting off issue a lot lately. Whenever I start it it cranks right up, but after I drive it or even move it a little bit, it starts to sputter and it completely shuts off on me. It starts right back up afterwords though. I'm not sure if it's not receiving gas or if it is an electrical issue. So far, I have replaced the ignition coil, the ignition coil module, the battery, the CPS, TPS, and the idle sensor. I can't seem to narrow it down! Please help me out! Thanks!

-Isaac

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-10-2016, 12:47 AM
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Check your ground to the motor. If the cable is barely long enough it may be getting pulled on when you start to move. The amount of movement would depend on the condition of your drive train bushings(motor mount, trans mount).
Jeep88lxj likes this.

D3<!L!>3D
post #3 of 3 Old 03-11-2016, 08:21 AM
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I have had the same exact problem with my '98 ZJ. I just figured it out yesterday. Mine turned out to be a bad connection at the fuel pump. After all my fears of what I may be in for, it cost me a wire connector. I was able to narrow it down cuz of the movement being an essential detail. Taking off from a dead stop and hitting the speed bumps in my trailer court were the usual scenarios that triggered it.
Jeep88lxj likes this.

D3<!L!>3D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.