1982 Jeep Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1982 Jeep Cherokee

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-13-2002, 09:42 AM   #1
ChargerMD

1982 Jeep Cherokee

I just bought a 1982 Jeep Cherokee Chief. Its a 2 door, 4 wheel drive, 4speed (they might all be- I'm not very familiar with these models). It has 114k miles, a perfect body with no rust and no a/c, seems to run good. I paid $2375.00, included in the deal was all the a/c components and a spare 360 cu engine. Did I get hurt here? I have no idea what these things are worth. Is there anyway to tell how many of these things were made?
I need to get some floor insulation and carpet (it was taken out and its very hot inside with out it)- does anyone know where I can find some quality carpet?
I was told that this model had only underdash mounted a/c (also thats what it looks like in the owners manual). I supposedly have all the necessary parts for the installation- has anyone ever done this? if so how difficult is it?
I'm sorry for so many questions from a newbie. Thanks for any information anyone might have.

Last edited by ChargerMD; 08-13-2002 at 12:16 PM..
ChargerMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2002, 10:37 AM   #2
arpy

If it runs I'd say you did good, I've always wanted one of those, they look TOUGH!
Check with JCWhitney on the carpet, they don't list it online but I bet they have it. They do show that year Wagoneer online, same body but 4 door only I think. Give them a call or get a print catalog. www.jcwhitney.com
You might want to get some expert help with the a/c if you are not familiar with this. Try to find a tech that will do it "on the side" so you don't have to pay shop labor rates, just don't get them in trouble with their job.
arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2002, 01:34 PM   #3
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Since the carpet has already been taken out, and there's no rust, why not herculine the interior floors?

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2002, 06:14 PM   #4
Tomguy
2014 WK 

That black Herculiner would only make it hotter
I saw roll car carpeting at Pep Boys for $25 a roll, but I didnt look at it for color or how much is in a roll. Looked about 8' long.
Tomguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2002, 05:33 AM   #5
ChargerMD

I thought about a spray in liner but around here it very expensive. And I also worry about the heat as Tomguy mentioned. I've never had much luck with rolled auto carpet seems to wear out easily.
I only found one place that could get me formed carpet (Ohio Auto Mat) and they would have to make it ($270.00). Has anyone ever dealt with this company? If so, what kind of quality did you receive?

Last edited by ChargerMD; 08-14-2002 at 05:37 AM..
ChargerMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2002, 09:23 AM   #6
glenzx

From what I remember from my 84 full-size wagoneer about REMOVING the A/C is that indeed, the duct inside just screwed up underneath the dash, the fan/evaporator was a pain in the *** to get to and remove and the hoses went through a weird grommet on the passenger side firewall. The compressor should be a "York" which if in good condition is awesome! The hoses as they came through the firewall went up and onto the pass. side wheelwell (there should be a little glass viewport in the supply line, I believe, and that was sort of at the high point of the well...) Then one tube went to the compressor, the other to the condensor in front of the radiator, then a hose from there back to the compressor.
BTW, the AMC 360 is a bomber engine! The original owner that I bought it from had put 117,000 miles on it, pretty hard ones at that, and before I sold it I put another 100,000 miles on it. No oil burning and ran strong. A lot of the emissions stuff was a real pain in the *** to maintain, so if you can get away without that crap, more power to you! The most major work I did was to pull the heads and have them re-built. That engine was so smooth and powerful, I wish I could stick one into my 2K Cherokee! Whooooeeee! That truck with the 3-speed Torqueflight Auto. Trans. hauled major ***! Fully loaded down going up hills, it just didn't matter. I got abou 14-15 mpg overall....
glenzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2002, 12:38 PM   #7
ChargerMD

Thanks for the good info. I'm denifinately not looking forward to installing the a/c- probably need to get a service manual if I can find one. The gas milage was 13.2mpg - but thats alright my 2001 only gets 18 mpg (I tend to drive hard). I have quite a vibration above 55 mph- I'm trying to narrow it down. So far I've turned the front rotors and repacked the front wheel bearings- no help.
The tires have hardly any miles on them- but they're cheapo belted tires. Also its hard to get into 2nd gear (downshifting) unless I bring the shifter all the way to the right then back to 2nd !!!???.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.