18 inch sahara take offs on xj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 18 inch sahara take offs on xj

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
chance_p
2008 WK 

18 inch sahara take offs on xj

Before putting these on my xj i couldn't find any pics or info about them on an XJ so i figured i would make this thread for anyone else thinking of doing the same. Im at 3 inches of lift in front and 4 in back. Had to do some trimming up front, ill post some pics of what i trimmed later. The tires are the factory 255/70/18 bridgestone dueler a/t that come on saharas. Im using adapters from thelugnutguys (ebay username). They are 1.25 inches thick. The adapters were $99 shipped and i got the wheels and tires for $200 from a member of the justjeeps club in omaha. 4 tires are 60% and the spare is brand new.

Unread 06-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
chance_p
2008 WK 

Here are some pictures of the adapters I got from thelugnutguys.

Unread 06-08-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
deitzberg
1998 XJ Cherokee 

how did the adapters work out for you?
deitzberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
chance_p
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deitzberg View Post
how did the adapters work out for you?
They've been great so far. I wish my rear lug studs were a little longer (on the Jeep, not the adapters) so that the nuts would engage more. The front ones were perfect length. I torqued the nuts that hold the spacers on to 150 ft/lbs with blue loctite and pretty much forgot about them. Had the wheels off once since then and everything seemed in order. I've got to pull the front adapters off tomorrow because im putting new U joints in my front axle shafts so I might have some more info then.

A bit of advice for anyone planning on running adapters, be liberal with the thread locker, it will not only hold the nuts in place but also act as a barrier to prevent dirt and corrosion from happening on the lug studs. Also mark the end of the studs and nuts with a sharpie so you can visually inspect if the nuts are tight. If you try to check them with a torque wrench you will break the bond created by the thread locker and it will defeat the purpose.
Unread 06-08-2013, 11:57 PM   #5
lazyxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance_p View Post
I wish my rear lug studs were a little longer (on the Jeep, not the adapters) so that the nuts would engage more.
Get a set of wheel studs for a ZJ, equipped with rear disc brakes. They are longer and will work perfectly. If you have an old set of front hubs, they too have the longer studs and can be punched out.
The nuts, for the spacers, are 1/2" and should be torqued to a maximum of 119 ft/lbs, according to the SAE chart for grade 8 bolts.
2001 Sport, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KOs, R.E. DB, R.E.-UCA, JKS-LCA, ACOS, 8.25-4.56-TruTrac, SYE, D-30 E-locker w/alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
lazyxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 12:36 AM   #6
chance_p
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyxj View Post
Get a set of wheel studs for a ZJ, equipped with rear disc brakes. They are longer and will work perfectly. If you have an old set of front hubs, they too have the longer studs and can be punched out.
The nuts, for the spacers, are 1/2" and should be torqued to a maximum of 119 ft/lbs, according to the SAE chart for grade 8 bolts.
Thanks for the info. I would replace the rear studs but im swapping an 8.8 in soon so I don't want to spend the money/time on it. I'm confident they will hold up, just wish it would have been perfect from the get go.

I honestly have always torqued my wheels on all of my vehicles (including jeeps) to 150ft/lbs. I haven't had any problems yet *fingers crossed*. I might drop it down to 120 when I put the front spacers back on tomorrow though. Thanks.
Unread 06-09-2013, 02:36 AM   #7
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance_p View Post
I honestly have always torqued my wheels on all of my vehicles (including jeeps) to 150ft/lbs. I haven't had any problems yet *fingers crossed*. I might drop it down to 120 when I put the front spacers back on tomorrow though. Thanks.
That is way too much for 1/2" lug nuts. Factory specs for most vehicles running 1/2" or close to that is around 85 lbs./ft. I usually tighten them a bit more, to around 100 lbs./ft., and never had problems with lug nuts getting loose. I've run up to 35s (unbalanced ), and even those didn't create any issues.

I would recommend not to over- tighten lug nuts, one thing is they're a pain to unbolt, they can get stuck, and the worst is you stretch the studs and eventually break them.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
chance_p
2008 WK 

Had the fronts off the other day to change axle shaft ujoints. Everything looked to be in great shape.
Unread 07-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
chance_p
2008 WK 

Picked up another brand new tire for 50 bucks. Going to run it and the new one i have on the rear. I had all of the wheels and tires off last week while painting my wheel wells black. Everything was in great shape. Torqued everything to 100ft/lbs this time around.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.