108F-120F What temp is ur Xj at - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 108F-120F What temp is ur Xj at

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 06-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #16
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I'm coming to the conclusion that the best "mod" you can do to your XJ for cooling is having a five speed tranny instead of an automatic. It seems that the extra heat generated by the automatic tranny (and routed through the radiator) puts our XJs over the top in really hot, stop-and-go situations. I suppose an A/C delete would be another great "mod" for keeping the motor cool, but I guess it's better to melt the motor than the driver!

habbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #17
playbass
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by habbyguy View Post
I'm coming to the conclusion that the best "mod" you can do to your XJ for cooling is having a five speed tranny instead of an automatic. It seems that the extra heat generated by the automatic tranny (and routed through the radiator) puts our XJs over the top in really hot, stop-and-go situations. I suppose an A/C delete would be another great "mod" for keeping the motor cool, but I guess it's better to melt the motor than the driver!
Going up a long hill/mountain, even at 65mph, the AW4 gets real hot and dumps it right in your radiator.
playbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #18
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

XJ manual trannys have a lower tow rating than autos and I would think there would be some off-roading scenarios in which a manual tranny would be next to impossible (rock crawling). A well tuned XJ with a cooling system in top notch condition can handle just about any driving condition and then some. A big 'ol auxiliary (secondary) tranny cooler never hurt either, especially in extreme driving conditions.

Go to just about any old(er) car/vehicle forum and this time of year most likely the #1 thread subject is overheating and the #1 reason for overheating is something failed due to owner neglect.
Unread 06-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #19
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by playbass View Post
Going up a long hill/mountain, even at 65mph, the AW4 gets real hot and dumps it right in your radiator.
Huh? I live in Arizona and have no issues on any of my auto Jeeps.

Of course, the cooling systems are not neglected.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #20
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383 View Post
XJ manual trannys have a lower tow rating than autos and I would think there would be some off-roading scenarios in which a manual tranny would be next to impossible (rock crawling). A well tuned XJ with a cooling system in top notch condition can handle just about any driving condition and then some. A big 'ol auxiliary (secondary) tranny cooler never hurt either, especially in extreme driving conditions.

Go to just about any old(er) car/vehicle forum and this time of year most likely the #1 thread subject is overheating and the #1 reason for overheating is something failed due to owner neglect.
Ain't that the truth. The systems work just fine when they're maintained.

Unread 06-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #21
playbass
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post

Huh? I live in Arizona and have no issues on any of my auto Jeeps.

Of course, the cooling systems are not neglected.
Im not overheating currently. I have just noticed that my XJ will get up to 230* if Im climbing a long hill/mountain on the hwy in 95+* temps. Im guessing its a combo of the AW4 downshifting and the engine running steady 3000 rpms for extended periods?

On the trail Im running normal temps (210+/-), even when hill climbing.

The oldest part in my cooling system is 8 months old. I have an aux tranny cooler. Im all for maintenance.

Edit: I take that back, my efan is the original, so its 15+ yrs old. Everything else has been replaced though. Mopar stat ftw.
Unread 06-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #22
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Im not overheating currently. I have just noticed that my XJ will get up to 230* if Im climbing a long hill/mountain on the hwy in 95+* temps. Im guessing its a combo of the AW4 downshifting and the engine running steady 3000 rpms for extended periods?

On the trail Im running normal temps (210+/-), even when hill climbing.

The oldest part in my cooling system is 8 months old. I have an aux tranny cooler. Im all for maintenance.

Edit: I take that back, my efan is the original, so its 15+ yrs old. Everything else has been replaced though. Mopar stat ftw.
3000 is nothing to run a 4.0 at. I run up the hills at 4000 and don't get hot.

AW4 doesn't generate that much heat as a rule. Are you in OD or 3 on those hills? Got a trans cooler?

Unread 06-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #23
playbass
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post

3000 is nothing to run a 4.0 at. I run up the hills at 4000 and don't get hot.

AW4 doesn't generate that much heat as a rule. Are you in OD or 3 on those hills? Got a trans cooler?
If Im on the hwy doing 70, Im in OD. Thats probably my problem isnt it? If I have cruise control on it will down shift a lot, which has to generate more heat.

Stupid question: should you shift into 3 even on the hwy when pulling long hills?

I do have a trans cooler, B&M.
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #24
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
If Im on the hwy doing 70, Im in OD. Thats probably my problem isnt it? If I have cruise control on it will down shift a lot, which has to generate more heat.

Stupid question: should you shift into 3 even on the hwy when pulling long hills?

I do have a trans cooler, B&M.
"Hills" are relative. I don't think your heat is coming from the trans. In 3rd with the torque converter locked up, you will generate less heat than in OD without it locked up.

AND, I read in a thread of yours on Cherokee Forum that your e-fan doesn't come on???????????????????????????????

Unread 06-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #25
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshark
So I've read a lot and I mean a lot of threads about XJ running temps etc. Some people say oh my XJ runs at 195 and 210. Some people say oh my XJ runs at 210 year round etc. So I've come to ponder that these temps might seem logical in say cooler areas of our nation, but what about in the not so cool areas of out nation. Is the even possible? I mean I live in an area that sees 108+/120+ degree weather in summer could my XJ possibly run at 210 with the a/c full blast, at idle, and in stop and go traffic? I want to here from people who have an XJ and who live in areas that see 108+ degree weather. I want to know your engine temps with the a/c on full blast, at idle, and in stop and go traffic. I don't think Jeep designed our cooling systems to run properly at all. Let alone in 108+ degree weather. So let me have your numbers. Oh and if you have any I mean any cooling upgrades please be sure to include them (all of them) with your temp numbers. I'm eager to see what numbers ya'll have. Thank You
Mine runs about 200 in normal conditions but in hot weather it runs a hair under 210. At a standstill in summer it goes over 210 slightly until moving again. I replaced the stock radiator with a new one last year. Seem to improve alot. I remember when it overheat to the red mark on hot days back a few years ago forcing me to do the old heater trick. Had no $ back then to work on it and it was my only dd so I put it through some rough stuff until I got a decent job to afford to work on it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.