108F-120F What temp is ur Xj at - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 108F-120F What temp is ur Xj at

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 06-16-2013, 02:23 AM   #1
hshark
1996 XJ Cherokee 

108F-120F What temp is ur Xj at

So I've read a lot and I mean a lot of threads about XJ running temps etc. Some people say oh my XJ runs at 195 and 210. Some people say oh my XJ runs at 210 year round etc. So I've come to ponder that these temps might seem logical in say cooler areas of our nation, but what about in the not so cool areas of out nation. Is the even possible? I mean I live in an area that sees 108+/120+ degree weather in summer could my XJ possibly run at 210 with the a/c full blast, at idle, and in stop and go traffic? I want to here from people who have an XJ and who live in areas that see 108+ degree weather. I want to know your engine temps with the a/c on full blast, at idle, and in stop and go traffic. I don't think Jeep designed our cooling systems to run properly at all. Let alone in 108+ degree weather. So let me have your numbers. Oh and if you have any I mean any cooling upgrades please be sure to include them (all of them) with your temp numbers. I'm eager to see what numbers ya'll have. Thank You

hshark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 05:27 AM   #2
Glavus
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My Jeep runs at a solid 200F and about 197-198F with the heat on. Bone stock cooling system.
Glavus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

I'm in Arizona with 3 XJs. All have the Mopar stat 83501426AC. Run at 200 to 210 in the summer and warm up quickly in the winter when it's in the 20s.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

My XJ runs just under 200 degrees all summer here in the Phoenix area, where afternoon temperatures regularly hit 110-115 (and that doesn't include the extra heat you get on the road surface). I've never had any overheating issues, even with the A/C running full blast (continually), on the hottest days in stop-and-go traffic. I do have a five speed, not an automatic, so there's less heat to deal with using my stock cooling system (with new pump, OEM-style replacement radiator, and new thermostat though).
habbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

At minus 30 degrees in winter, my XJ's warm up to 195*. At 95*+ on a summer day, with the A/C on they run at about 210*. In stop an go summer traffic and on the 4x4 trails, the e-fan runs more often.

Over heating is caused by a lack of routine maintenance of the cooling system. Coolant, hoses, thermostats, water pumps, and radiators need to be service on a regular schedule, and replaced when they wear out.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

We see 100 plus here, only had the truck long enough to go through a week of hot weather, and the temp runs 200-210 on the freeway with the A/C on , the temp creeps up to 215 after a long freeway run and get into stop and go, but it comes back down to the 200-210 after a bit. In slow off road conditions in 95-100 degree temps, (29 Palms a month ago), it stays around the same with the A/C on. The system has been flushed, and new hoses and a stant stat installed. I plan on installing a 3 row BTR, a new w/p and a Mopar stat before our next trip out to the southern deserts this fall.
cherokee-150.jpg  
Unread 06-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35A2 View Post
We see 100 plus here, only had the truck long enough to go through a week of hot weather, and the temp runs 200-210 on the freeway with the A/C on , the temp creeps up to 215 after a long freeway run and get into stop and go, but it comes back down to the 200-210 after a bit. In slow off road conditions in 95-100 degree temps, (29 Palms a month ago), it stays around the same with the A/C on. The system has been flushed, and new hoses and a stant stat installed. I plan on installing a 3 row BTR, a new w/p and a Mopar stat before our next trip out to the southern deserts this fall.
I like your plan. Consider a water pump?

Do you have an M35A2?

My Jeep Technical Photos

Unread 06-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

My beater 98 sees around 210 but gets a little hot wheeling. My 96 sits around 205-210 but I need to replace the radiator since its cracked and when I do that I will be doing upper and lower hoses along with a thermostat. It has no A/C tho.
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshark View Post
So I've read a lot and I mean a lot of threads about XJ running temps etc. Some people say oh my XJ runs at 195 and 210. Some people say oh my XJ runs at 210 year round etc. So I've come to ponder that these temps might seem logical in say cooler areas of our nation, but what about in the not so cool areas of out nation. Is the even possible? I mean I live in an area that sees 108+/120+ degree weather in summer could my XJ possibly run at 210 with the a/c full blast, at idle, and in stop and go traffic? I want to here from people who have an XJ and who live in areas that see 108+ degree weather. I want to know your engine temps with the a/c on full blast, at idle, and in stop and go traffic. I don't think Jeep designed our cooling systems to run properly at all. Let alone in 108+ degree weather. So let me have your numbers. Oh and if you have any I mean any cooling upgrades please be sure to include them (all of them) with your temp numbers. I'm eager to see what numbers ya'll have. Thank You

Since u have a OBD-II XJ ('96), borrow/buy a scan tool and plug it into the ALDL port under the dash. You will then see actual/real coolant temps, and how widely they can vary, under all kinds of different driving conditions, including using/experimenting with different temp t-stats. All kinds of variables raise/lower coolant temp that are probably not accurately reflected by the factory gauge. Only problem is, knowing the truth might scare u. (and no, in 108+ ambient, stopped long periods in traffic, running a/c, with a stock cooling system in perfect/new condition, it ain't gonna run 210)
Unread 06-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #10
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

My XJ will run 200 or a bit less until the ambient gets over 105. Then the temps rise so the needle is about 1/2 a needle width past 200, which I guess to be about 210-215. Speed makes almost no difference.

Of course, this is with the AC running, as only a masochist runs around PHX in a closed car with no AC.

I have a Chrysler OEM thermostat, an OEM water pump, and a CSF three row rad.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:41 AM   #11
hshark
1996 XJ Cherokee 

djb383, I think you fallow what I'm trying to say here. I always see threads where people say they run at 210 no matter what. Though I believe some XJ's run at 210 no matter what where are the XJ's that run a little past 210 on really hot days with heavy loads i.e. a/c, traffic, etc.? I also think as you stated a scan tool is needed. For example I have dual electric fans and run 210 with the a/c on at idle in 108+ degree weather. I left my XJ running for about twenty minutes (in the said conditions) and shut it off. Came back maybe five minutes (or less) later and temp Jumped to 225-230ish and stayed there. Now are the gauges always objective? Are they subjective? Though I agree that coolant gets hotter after shutdown a whole 15-20 degrees in less than 5 minutes seems weird to me. I also read somewhere that the location of the temp switch on the back of the head is a bad area and could provide false readings. I'm unsure of what to make of that, but it's been posted and talked about. I've also read that XJ's like to run 220 with a/c and other load factors. My entire cooling system is new and 210 seems about right, but a little over 210 also seems about right in extreme weather and high load.
hshark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #12
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
I like your plan. Consider a water pump?

Do you have an M35A2?
W/P is in the plan when the radistor swap happens.

I did have a deuce, but with Ca emissions the way they are for trucks, that"s what I do for a living, a mechanic for Cummins Engine Co, 25 years worth, Even though it was registered historic, my gut just said sell now 'cause the great and powerful CARB can and will change their mind and look at a 26000 lb GVW diesel powered truck and say, nope, no registration for you in this state! I didn't want a 26k paper weight in front of my house. It's in my profile if you wana see it.

As for the temp rising after the engine is shut off, that's normal heat soak. It should however come back down to your "normal" operating temp as soon as you put some air flow across the core.
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:00 AM   #13
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35A2 View Post
W/P is in the plan when the radistor swap happens.

I did have a deuce, but with Ca emissions the way they are for trucks, that"s what I do for a living, a mechanic for Cummins Engine Co, 25 years worth, Even though it was registered historic, my gut just said sell now 'cause the great and powerful CARB can and will change their mind and look at a 26000 lb GVW diesel powered truck and say, nope, no registration for you in this state! I didn't want a 26k paper weight in front of my house. It's in my profile if you wana see it.

As for the temp rising after the engine is shut off, that's normal heat soak. It should however come back down to your "normal" operating temp as soon as you put some air flow across the core.
I had an M543-A1 military wrecker crane for years. Used it in my towing business.

My Jeep Technical Photos

Unread 06-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #14
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshark View Post
djb383, I think you fallow what I'm trying to say here. I always see threads where people say they run at 210 no matter what. Though I believe some XJ's run at 210 no matter what where are the XJ's that run a little past 210 on really hot days with heavy loads i.e. a/c, traffic, etc.? I also think as you stated a scan tool is needed. For example I have dual electric fans and run 210 with the a/c on at idle in 108+ degree weather. I left my XJ running for about twenty minutes (in the said conditions) and shut it off. Came back maybe five minutes (or less) later and temp Jumped to 225-230ish and stayed there. Now are the gauges always objective? Are they subjective? Though I agree that coolant gets hotter after shutdown a whole 15-20 degrees in less than 5 minutes seems weird to me. I also read somewhere that the location of the temp switch on the back of the head is a bad area and could provide false readings. I'm unsure of what to make of that, but it's been posted and talked about. I've also read that XJ's like to run 220 with a/c and other load factors. My entire cooling system is new and 210 seems about right, but a little over 210 also seems about right in extreme weather and high load.
We use a digital ScanGauge in our XJ and also have them/move them to 4 other OBD-II vehicles. The other vehicle's temp gauges only have a "C" and "H" on their temp gauges, no numbers as XJ factory gauges have. On the other vehicles, the temp gauge needle always points +/- the middle. With the ScanGauge, it's easy to see a 10-20 rise/drop in coolant temp but the needle on the factory gauge always points to +/- the middle as long as coolant temp is with-in parameters. Something as simple as changing driving direction 180 degrees (going into wind or going with the wind) can be seen with the ScanGauge, but probably not on a factory temp gauge.
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #15
CoyoteHunter
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My 99XJ with 179,xxx miles stays pretty near 210-215 in normal traffic and drops to 200 @ 50mph+
I'm getting temp creep at hot idle due to my e-fan bearings wobbling. I searched the whole U-pull-it on Sat. for a replacement and 95% of the XJs had them removed.LOL The ones that remained were pretty seized up.
I flushed my rusty brown coolant Saturday night and am running some prestone 3-6 hour cleaner now. WP , T-stat, and rad. cap are probably in order!
Thinking about a B&M (70266) trans cooler too. Found one new-in-box for $50.
CoyoteHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.