1 Ton Steering on a daily driver? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 1 Ton Steering on a daily driver?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
tebinkley
1999 XJ Cherokee 

1 Ton Steering on a daily driver?

Is it a good idea? What are the downs and ups if any? I'll do it at some point but should I wait until its solely a trail rig. The vehicle is a 1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ, 6.5" running on 33's. the tie rod is slightly bent which is the prompt for an upgrade.

tebinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2014, 08:31 PM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

why not. Just cost more than stock. common in the Jeeps cj-jk's to upgrade them.
Unread 04-27-2014, 10:26 PM   #3
Renix
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I run JCR ton and it drives way better than my stock did.
Renix is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Depends what you mean by one ton. Are you talking about doing true cross-over/high steer? That's always a good idea but not really a bolt on mod so you have to be prepared for fab work on the steering and track bar. Be careful going to any of the inverted T setups that are out there. I know there are people that are happy with them, but personally I find the tie rod roll that is unavoidable with that design ranges from really annoying to dangerous and I would never run one of those. That leaves upgrading the stock inverted Y which can be done pretty well and on a pretty close to bolt on basis. You get something like Currie and if you want an extra strong tie rod like Savvy offers for the setup and if you want to get creative you can flip the tie rod on the driver's side to the top of the knuckle. That's a decent solution for how easy it is.
Unread 04-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
1_sick_xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You can never have too strong of steering components!
1_sick_xj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.