Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

1/8" thick sliders

1K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  winkosmosis 
#1 ·
is anyone running 1/8" sliders on their rig? I would like to know how durable they are in comparison to the 3/16" thickness of the same model. The big thing is that im trying to save weight. If the 1/8" will work then thats what i want to stick w/. Is 1/16" that big of a difference?

If you need to know, im lookin at AJs sliders specifically

thanks

#3 ·
i don't know your answer exactly, but IMHO it's worth the weight. if you're that concerned about weight, cut more sheet metal away that you don't need :thumbsup:

but seriously, what makes your concern about weight more important than protection? i mean, obviously within reason... another 1/16" is going to add a ton of strength and a fair bit of weight, but the parts are designed so that weight increases less than strength, per change in thickness... i hope that made sense.

#4 ·
i get what you're sayin. im leanin towards the 3/16" sliders but i was just curious what the difference would be in strength when compared to the 1/8" version. i really want to hear from someone who has had the 1/8"...that would be ideal but i digress

#5 ·
My 3/16th inch aj's standard rail were 65 pounds shipped.

You can figure that its basically like always driving with a kid in the back. Or two hilift jacks, or a spare tire.

I don't notice it at all, although my springs are on their way out. (So I did lose maybe 1/4 inch of lift.)

#11 ·
My 3/16th inch aj's standard rail were 65 pounds shipped.

You can figure that its basically like always driving with a kid in the back. Or two hilift jacks, or a spare tire.

I don't notice it at all, although my springs are on their way out. (So I did lose maybe 1/4 inch of lift.)
so its probably safe to guess the 1/8ths are around 45 (guessing but i think im close) so the difference is uber minimal

-matt

#9 ·
Totally agree with everybody here. I've got AJ's 3/16" SuperRails. I did toy with getting the 1/8" version but the extra protection the 3/16" gives you is well worth the extra weight and cost

#16 ·
I think 1/8 with fluting or those rimmed holes would be stiffer than flat 3/16.

I don't know what they call the holes, but I have an off road magazine somewhere where the guy demonstrates the difference in rigidity with and without the holes by standing on the plate, and it bent like cardboard without the holes, but stayed straight with the holes.

WJ skid plates are very thin, but everyone loves them because they have rigidity by not being flat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.