01 WJ Seats into 01 XJ - Been Covered - extra clear help please.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 01 WJ Seats into 01 XJ - Been Covered - extra clear help please....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #1
nimitz68
2001 XJ Cherokee 

01 WJ Seats into 01 XJ - Been Covered - extra clear help please....

First!

1. I know this topic was covered in 2009 I think. However, it did not clear up my question.

Details
I have a 01 XJ Limited with all the bells and toys -- The drivers side seat is shot.
I bought 01 WJ Limited Leather seats (electric just like the XJ). Craigs list for 275 (was asking 450 lol)

I have swapped the seat rails (I know they bolt right on -- testing on passenger side first) so that is all good and well. I visited the local salvage yard and found the electrical connector going from the floor to the seat (6 wires on the WJ) (13 or 14 on my XJ). I would rather splice the donor WJ wiring connector (floor side) BUT I don't know which wire goes to which wire on the XJ.

My 01 XJ has something like 14 wires going into its harness while the WJ 01 has like 6.

MY XJ - 2001, leather, limited, tracks are already on the seat I just need to know which wires go to which wire when I splice them into the XJ and thus, which wires I can just safely disable without the airbag going or OR not going off if its needed AND my battery not being drained suddenly.... I am NOT trying to sound condescending guys and gals, just want to be sure my question and details are clean and concise.

For the LIFE of me I cannot find a wiring schematic for both Jeeps, so, I am reaching out to the Jeep Heads.

Recap
Need electrical HELP -- PICTURES would be great. both seats are electic and not manual, they do not have "manual slide bar", they are all automated or automatic whatever word best fits its NOT manual.

While I do work in the IT field, I DO NOT work in the electical wiring field so please keep it as stupid as you want to. I plan on soldering the wires together -- my brother-in-law is an engineer and can read this stuff, but, I want to present something that I can understand.

Attached are pictures of the passenger side XJ.. the White is the XJ and Black WJ -- SO ODD that the XJ has more wires while the WJ has less.... jeeze, lets try to make it as hard as friggin possible OH and not to mention like 7 or 8 MORE wires too!!

Yes, both are heated and I believe they have separate connectors

When done I will post a write-up with pictures...

1991 Cherokee Limited - (sold, i think its in Jeep heaven now)
1992 Cherokee Limited - Project Jeep OE - amazing shape considering its age
2001 Cherokee Limited - Daily OE Driver Seats need work and front speakers don't work
3 Rail All Aluminum radiator (that was a BEAST of a project)
Roof rust - awful stuff
Want to put updated fuel injectors (3 or 4 spray)
Need to install new shocks (all four from amazon for less than 150 bucks)
Need to install new O2 Sensors (all four from Amazon for less than 150 bucks - Autozone 280)

wj-1.jpg   wj-2.jpg   wj-3.jpg   xj-1.jpg   xj-2.jpg  

xj-3.jpg   xj-4.jpg  

Last edited by nimitz68; 07-04-2014 at 11:56 PM.. Reason: Adding details
nimitz68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #2
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hmm that is a tough one. I've swapped Grand seats into an XJ but they were always manual seats.

I would say your best bet might be to get a factory service manual for your Jeep. They can be found on e-bay or downloaded online I believe. I have one but it is for an XJ, not a WJ. You might need the wiring schematics from both in order to find out which wires go where. Since the controls are different on each Jeep, that is probably why there are more wires for one versus the other.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2014, 01:40 AM   #3
MGrobe
Man In Black

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Belated bump... Hey Park Ridge, Villa Park here...

Solve this yet? I definitely can get a schematic for the XJ seat. And I may have the WJ as well, although I can't remember for sure if I ever did pickup that FSM or not. I'd have to double-check that...

My 98 XJ powered driver's seat has two seized up motors, and I have thought about swapping in WJ seats, with hopefully working motors. Love to have a powered passenger seat as well, but can't say that was an option for the XJ, but hopefully it was for the WJ.

At any rate, thought I would check, as this may be on my todo list down the road.
- JeepForum Rules - Become a Premium Member or Vendor
For Sale: (4) AR 767-5766 Wheels (used) 15x7, 5x4.5, 4.5BS - for local pickup in the Chicago-area
MGrobe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #4
SSellers
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I just posted a link to the wiring diagrams for all vehicles 1986-present earlier today:
http://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html

Although I have not done this yet, here's my thinking on it:
If you still have the WJ wiring harnesses attached and intact then you only need to connect your two XJ power leads to the WJ harness power leads. The lumbar and recline should work immediately.
The front, rear, and horizontal motors all have the same wire colors except for one between the XJ and WJ.
You just need to splice the WJ wires from the harness into the XJ motor leads to get that stuff working.
I have not even looked to see if the plugs are the same and if you can just use the WJ plugs or at least repin the XJ plugs but I'm doubting it. No big deal either way.

It sounds like you also have heated seat option in your XJ. I have not looked into that and do not know if the XJ uses the same method to control heat as the WJ, i.e. thermistor feedback and pulsed output from PCM control via the body control module.

This should at least get you going on being able to move them anyway.
SSellers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2014, 04:16 AM   #5
Jeep99ster
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Hi there nimitz,

I just did an 04' grand leather power seat swap into my 99 xj sport ( no power ). All I hooked up was the power and ground to each seat and I have Full function. I dont have heated seats so all those other wires I have no clue what they do. Now that I think about it..I used the entire seats without swapping brackets..so all my motors were already hooked up to the power lead. So in theory I guess you could wire all the hot leads from your switches and tie them into your backrest hot leads..then ground everything out ( I just grounded mine to a mounting bolt ).
Jeep99ster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
nimitz68
2001 XJ Cherokee 

UPDATE:
Figured out how I am going to attach the seat belt clip which attaches to the XJ frame but does not "normally" attach to the WJ frame.

I was literally about to detach the WJ seat and frame and thought.. hmm.. I wonder if the hex head bolt which securly held the seat belt clip to the XJ seat will fit through the hole (soon pictured) on the WJ rail! Poof.. it fit... Now, I need a super strong nut and locking washer with lock tight (blue) (red you need HEAT for it to release).
nimitz68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
electrical. , modifications , seats , wj , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.