01 start up sounds like dying baby seal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 01 start up sounds like dying baby seal

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
XJkid01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

01 start up sounds like dying baby seal

Almost everytime I start my XJ I get terrible screeching from the engine compartment, if i turn off the AC and turn it back on it sometimes stops. Is anybody else having this problem and have you figured out what the problem is?

XJkid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
Jamie57
2000 XJ Cherokee 

fan belt too loose. they have to be crazy tight! kinda like when you twang a guitar string.
Jamie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
XJkid01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie57 View Post
fan belt too loose. they have to be crazy tight! kinda like when you twang a guitar string.
Thanks, isn't it a self tightening belt?
Unread 07-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Worn, slipping belt will do it.Bad fan clutch will too.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJkid01 View Post
Nope.Here's how simple it is to do( post #3).

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/s...aling-1161327/
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
Jamie57
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Damn posted just as you were! LOL

Nope
Need a 15 mm wrench and a 15 mm socket. adjustment is on the idler wheel just below the power steering pump.
Loosen the bolt holding the wheel. then tighten the 15 mm bolt head facing up just below the temp sensor on the thermostat housing. There is a tool u can get to check the tension of the belt. It should be at 125 PSI on that tool. I don;t have it so I just tighten until I can pluck the belt like a string.
Now re-tighten the bolt holding the wheel.
Jamie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
XJkid01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

So would it be a good idea for me to just get a new belt?
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
So would it be a good idea for me to just get a new belt?
it wouldn't hurt, if you dont know or cant remember the last time it was changed go ahead and change it out.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #9
dave564
2000 XJ Cherokee 

And I was going to suggest changing the dying baby Seal for a more healthy one...
dave564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
XJkid01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post

it wouldn't hurt, if you dont know or cant remember the last time it was changed go ahead and change it out.
I just bought the Jeep last week and the previous owner out the belt on 2 years ago but only put 7,000 miles on it
Unread 07-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #11
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Oftentimes, a new belt needs to be "retightened" once after it has been run for a few miles. They can stretch just a tad and that can leave you with "baby seal" noise. I have had to retighten the belts I have installed on my 99 every single time.

But even with 7k on it, you still need to perform a close inspection for "glazing" (shiny spots) and if it is glazed, replace it. I prefer the Goodyear Gatorback for the replacement belt on the 4.0 engine.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #12
XJkid01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwalker View Post
Oftentimes, a new belt needs to be "retightened" once after it has been run for a few miles. They can stretch just a tad and that can leave you with "baby seal" noise. I have had to retighten the belts I have installed on my 99 every single time.

But even with 7k on it, you still need to perform a close inspection for "glazing" (shiny spots) and if it is glazed, replace it. I prefer the Goodyear Gatorback for the replacement belt on the 4.0 engine.
Okay thanks
Unread 07-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #13
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

you should be fine with the belt you got, you just need to tighten it up like the others said. very easy to do. obviously do it with engine off.

if your standing in front of the jeep with the hood open, below the power steering pump there is a belt pulley with a 15mm bolt, sort of hard to reach but get a wrench on there and turn it left towards the passenger side . Watch your hand on the metal fan when you do this. once this bolt is loosened you can begin to adjust your belt.

There is another 15mm bolt sort of behind the power steering pump, near the valve cover. its on a slant. a ratchet with an extension and 15mm works great or you can use a wrench again, it will just be slower. You want to turn this bolt clockwise to tighten the belt. so if your wrench is on the bolt, you want to turn it towards the front of the jeep. tighten the bolt a few turns and then tighten the pulley down below.

start the jeep up and give it a quick rev with the a/c on. if the squeal is still there, repeat the above until its no longer squealing.

it should take maybe 10 minutes to do
1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.