01 losing coolant - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 03-13-2017, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
myXJrocks

2001 XJ Cherokee 

01 losing coolant

So maybe someone here has had similar experiences? I have an 01 sport I bought with low miles (130k, low for an 01). It had blew a radiator hose and sat for 2 years. After new hoses, radiator, water pump, thermostat, and heater core, I was still losing coolant. It took dropping the trans to see the leaky freeze plug. Ouch! I finally thought I'd solved the mystery. But not yet. The 4.0 still goes thru a LOT of coolant. No sign of anything wet. The oil shows no water. Could I have a cracked block and be burning a quart of coolant every hundred miles. The motor never misses a beat, no misfiring...troubling!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-13-2017, 06:02 PM
caronaxtr2

When you check your coolant it's not creamy or milky is it? 2000 & 2001 have a history of getting cracked heads. I had an 01 for 5 years and had no problems with it, but it is a known issue.

Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-13-2017, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
myXJrocks

2001 XJ Cherokee 

No, oil is clean and it doesn't use any. I had the head tested and new gasket also. That's why I'm puzzled.

post #4 of 14 Old 03-13-2017, 06:16 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The coolant isn't disappearing, it is leaking, either from the cooling system, externally from the head gasket, or internally to the cylinders and out the tail pipe.

You replaced one freeze plug, or all of them ? Have you performed a cylinder leak down test ? Have you performed a cooling system pressure test ? Have you had the oil analyzed ?

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-14-2017, 06:11 AM
TheBoogieman
The Devil's Advocate

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by myXJrocks View Post
So maybe someone here has had similar experiences? I have an 01 sport I bought with low miles (130k, low for an 01). It had blew a radiator hose and sat for 2 years. After new hoses, radiator, water pump, thermostat, and heater core, I was still losing coolant. It took dropping the trans to see the leaky freeze plug. Ouch! I finally thought I'd solved the mystery. But not yet. The 4.0 still goes thru a LOT of coolant. No sign of anything wet. The oil shows no water. Could I have a cracked block and be burning a quart of coolant every hundred miles. The motor never misses a beat, no misfiring...troubling!
That's exactly what my 00' XJ did when the head had a small crack. When it gets worse, the coolant will show up in the oil.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-14-2017, 07:01 AM
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Do research on CRACKED 0331 CYLINDER HEAD + JEEP CHEROKEE On all XJ forums and also just using a simple Google search. There are literally hundreds of threads on it, so no need to reinvent the wheel here.

I'm not saying that is your issue, but it sure could be and as an owner of a 2001 XJ, it's imperative that you understand it.

Good luck and keep us updated!

99 Cherokee, 4.0 AW4, NP242
Past Jeeps: 49 Willys, 81 Scrambler, 88 Comanche
Without "data", all you have is an opinion!
post #7 of 14 Old 03-14-2017, 08:40 AM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Send your oil in to Blackstone. $30 and they'll test it for coolant traces. Way easier and cheaper than trying to pull the head off and have it fluxed again or something.

Unfortunately it's almost impossible to get any response other than ITS THE HEAD on any forum once you admit 00-01 so you might as well cross it off the list.

Also:what's the state of your rad cap? When my last one went it pretty much just let a constant drip of coolant out any time the jeep was warm and revving. Dripped right out of the bay and didn't show under idle. Took me ages to spot and my threads were all met with cries of 0331.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-14-2017, 08:48 AM
ou2mame

I've got a few slightly leaking side freeze plugs that drip to the rms area. If it's leaking externally it would be on the ground. Could be a hg into the Cyl, or cracked head. They still test kits at auto stops too to test for making hg

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 14 Old 03-14-2017, 11:06 AM
axlaxl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
Send your oil in to Blackstone. $30 and they'll test it for coolant traces. Way easier and cheaper than trying to pull the head off and have it fluxed again or something.

Unfortunately it's almost impossible to get any response other than ITS THE HEAD on any forum once you admit 00-01 so you might as well cross it off the list.

Also:what's the state of your rad cap? When my last one went it pretty much just let a constant drip of coolant out any time the jeep was warm. Took me ages to spot and my threads were all met with cries of 0331.
What he said.

Blackstone to rule out cracked head and get a good insight into your engine health.

Pressure test the cooling system like CJ7 Tim said.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-15-2017, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
myXJrocks

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Right. I've just begun to learn about the 00-01 head. Originally it was gone thru and pressure tested. I've gotten tired of chasing this. Found a 98 block and we're going to freshen it up. I've been told an 03 and up head is built better and will be a direct replacement. We will do a 3 angle valve job and put it all together. This is the wife's toy so I need it all to run smoothly. My 01 will be next.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-15-2017, 05:38 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by myXJrocks View Post
Right. I've just begun to learn about the 00-01 head. Originally it was gone thru and pressure tested. I've gotten tired of chasing this. Found a 98 block and we're going to freshen it up. I've been told an 03 and up head is built better and will be a direct replacement. We will do a 3 angle valve job and put it all together. This is the wife's toy so I need it all to run smoothly. My 01 will be next.
03+ WJ or TJ 4.0 heads are a direct

03+ TJ or WJ 4.0 heads are a direct replacement without the cracking issue. Technically 02.5+ works but you have to look for the "TUPY" stamp under the fill cap on the valve cover to be sure.

99- heads can be made to work, but you have to drill and tap mounting points for the spark rail since they had a distributor rather than the coil on plug design of 00+

You can also order one from Clearwater, more expensive than a JY unit, though. Hopefully that clarifies your search.

The 30ish bucks for Blackstone might be worth it to save you rebuilding an engine if you think it isn't cracked yet, or if you're going to rebuild anyway you might check out the budget stroker builds on Dino's 4.0 performance site if you're putting in a bunch of labor anywa and have some cash.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

post #12 of 14 Old 03-15-2017, 10:49 PM
ArmyStrongMD
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I wouldn't rule out something else in the system. Have you done the radiator and all hoses? I had a pesky coolant leak in my 00 that turned out to be somewhere in the radiator. I was terrified of the head issue but replacing the radiator and hoses fixed it for me.

Interesting about the oil test...will have to try that anyway to see if I have a minor head crack but she doesn't go through coolant anymore that I have been able to tell.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-16-2017, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
myXJrocks

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks to everyone who has given advice. I am new to the forum and am already seeing the benefit of hearing from people with years of experience, where I am just a "newbie". I will be a member for a long time...
post #14 of 14 Old 03-17-2017, 03:16 PM
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

See if you have a parts store by you that will rent you a cooling system pressure tester. I rented one at Oreillys before I bought one. Connect it to the radiator, pressurize the system, check for leaks. Often they only show up with the system pressurized. If you do have the cracked head you may even be able to see coolant seeping out the crack between cylinders three and four by looking down the oil fill hole in the valve cover.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.