01 ignition coil replacement info - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 01 ignition coil replacement info

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Reply
Unread 03-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
spencer411hire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 123
01 ignition coil replacement info

im pretty sure i need to replace one of the ignition coils on my 01 and i dont have any info.

i did a search that did not yield any results.

i have replaced the plugs before and am familiar with taking off the ignition strip, but dont remember paying much attention to the coils.

any help is appreciated.

spencer411hire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
01sherman
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: south jersey
Posts: 78
the whole strip wold have to be replaced theres no replacing just one coil you can get a coil strip from any autoparts store for about 165
01sherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
spencer411hire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01sherman View Post
the whole strip wold have to be replaced theres no replacing just one coil you can get a coil strip from any autoparts store for about 165
might as well change the plugs while im at it eh?
spencer411hire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
filluptrk
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Coarsegold, CA
Posts: 1,203
Why do think you need to replace the unit? Phil
filluptrk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2009, 11:10 PM   #5
spencer411hire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by filluptrk View Post
Why do think you need to replace the unit? Phil
i can tell its not firing on all of em

rough idle

plus i had a friend pull the code with a meter
spencer411hire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.
 
CJ7-Tim's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: out in the garage - Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 22,068
What were the codes that you pulled?

Misfires can have a number of different causes. Before you open the hood and start throwing money into a dark hole, maybe you should do some thorough and logical diagnostic troubleshooting.
__________________
.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2009, 11:51 PM   #7
spencer411hire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
What were the codes that you pulled?

Misfires can have a number of different causes. Before you open the hood and start throwing money into a dark hole, maybe you should do some thorough and logical diagnostic troubleshooting.
well i was kind of wanting to just replace the coils anyway as well as plugs

i dont know exactly what the code was as it wouldnt make any sense to me, but i do understand there could be other reasons for the misfires. we are looking into all options

were there any write-ups/stickeys about changing the ignition strip that i missed?

thanks
spencer411hire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 12:00 AM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.
 
CJ7-Tim's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: out in the garage - Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 22,068
The coil rail is not replaced unless it has failed. $165 is a lot of money to spend on something that isn't broken.

If the codes are still in the ECM use a code scanner and then write them down. There are lists of trouble codes on the Internet that you can use to make logical choices of which parts to test and which may need replacement.
__________________
.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #9
spencer411hire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
The coil rail is not replaced unless it has failed. $165 is a lot of money to spend on something that isn't broken.

If the codes are still in the ECM use a code scanner and then write them down. There are lists of trouble codes on the Internet that you can use to make logical choices of which parts to test and which may need replacement.
my buddy knows the code and we will def look into that more

this sounds exactly like the problems im having
http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...e-4-0-6-having

just seems like a tune-up is in order and if that means replacing the rail then so be it
spencer411hire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 12:21 AM   #10
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.
 
CJ7-Tim's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: out in the garage - Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 22,068
The spark plugs should be replaced every 2 years or 30,000 miles as recommended by the owners manual. Nearly everyone on this forum will tell you that SplitFire type and Platinum type premium spark plugs are a waste of money and can even cause misfires. The basic Champion park plug is the one the runs best in the Jeep 4.0L.

Misfires can be caused by a dirty throttle body, dirty injectors, loose engine or battery wires, a malfunctioning CPS, TPS or CKP, or bad gasoline. Simple maintenance items that are inexpensive and easy to perform should be the first things on your list.
__________________
.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

Last edited by CJ7-Tim; 03-11-2009 at 11:10 AM..
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 06:58 AM   #11
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!
 
tjwalker's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central Minnesota, MN
Posts: 8,514
Your best bet would be to get the actual codes and post here for comment.

Don't replace that coil rail just yet......as Tim mentions, it generally is not replaced as a matter of course unless other things have been eliminated.

A new set of plugs should absolutely be installed (champions) as one of the first things to try. Not that it couldn't be the coil rail but basic stuff first.

Posting codes and replacing plugs would be a good start to a methodical process of elimination here....
__________________
99 Cherokee, 4.0 AW4, NP242
Past Jeeps: 49 Willys, 81 Scrambler, 88 Comanche
Without "data", all you have is an opinion!
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 04:48 PM   #12
spencer411hire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
The spark plugs should be replaced every 2 years or 30,000 miles as recommended by the owners manual. Nearly everyone on this forum will tell you that SplitFire type and Platinum type premium spark plugs are a waste of money and can even cause misfires. The basic Champion park plug is the one the runs best in the Jeep 4.0L.

Misfires can be caused by a dirty throttle body, dirty injectors, loose engine or battery wires, a malfunctioning CPS, TPS or CKP, or bad gasoline. Simple maintenance items that are inexpensive and easy to perform should be the first things on your list.
im well aware that the splitfire and platinum (bosch etc.) arent worth the cash. ive have always used NGKs and have had nothing but quality performance from them. they are just about 2 years old now and they are getting changed regardless of what i do about the misfires

thanks for the help!
spencer411hire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #13
spencer411hire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwalker View Post
Your best bet would be to get the actual codes and post here for comment.

Don't replace that coil rail just yet......as Tim mentions, it generally is not replaced as a matter of course unless other things have been eliminated.

A new set of plugs should absolutely be installed (champions) as one of the first things to try. Not that it couldn't be the coil rail but basic stuff first.

Posting codes and replacing plugs would be a good start to a methodical process of elimination here....
im going to do exactly that

ill post the code

thanks!
spencer411hire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 04:53 PM   #14
spencer411hire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 123
ok so the code is "P0301"

and this description is almost exaclty like what is goin on
http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...e-4-0-6-having

in fact the check engine light went off last night
spencer411hire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 06:32 PM   #15
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!
 
tjwalker's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central Minnesota, MN
Posts: 8,514
P0301 is a cylinder #1 misfire.

Gotta change out that plug at a minimum and see if that eliminates the light and symptoms.

Another thing that is specific to a single cylinder misfire would be a faulty fuel injector. If a new plug doesn't resolve the problem, I'd check the resistance on the fuel injector and compare the readings to other injector resistance readings.
__________________
99 Cherokee, 4.0 AW4, NP242
Past Jeeps: 49 Willys, 81 Scrambler, 88 Comanche
Without "data", all you have is an opinion!
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.