01 cherokee sport RC lift and spacer questions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 01 cherokee sport RC lift and spacer questions.

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 03-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
motoxracer801
2002 TJ Wrangler 

01 cherokee sport RC lift and spacer questions.

I have a 2001 jeep cherokee sport 4x4. I am going to be buying a lift for it in the next three weeks. I am buying a 4.5 inch lift from rough country. The kit I am getting is the one with full leaf springs. Not add a leaf. I want 5 to 5.5 inches total lift. I dont want the 6.5 lift that rc sells. So what I was thinking I would do is buy 1 inch shackles and 1 inch coil spacers. Im pretty new to jeeps. I am concerned about a few things. Every time I see a spacer and shackle online. They come in a kit like 1" coil spacer and 1 3/4" shackle. Why is this? My cherokee is level right now. My old cherokee was level with the 4.5" rc lift. So therefore I should be level with a 1" coil spacer and a 1" shackles correct? What am I missing here?*

My other question is, will the RC lower control arms still work? I am going to buy relocation brackets at some point. But not for a few months. I am going to buy some new lengthened brake lines. So im not worried about that. Im mostly just worried about my control arms. I am going to do the upgrade to RC x-flex system when money permits. But that doesnt even have a set time frame yet. I really just want to get my 5 to 5.5 inches of lift for now.*

This cherokee is my daily driver. It will be something I can trail ride a couple times of month. Im a climber, slow roller type four wheeler. I dont care for slinging mud, jumping, or seeing how fast my jeep can go over a motocross whoop section. I enjoy the outdoors and this jeep helps me enjoy it more and I love to trail ride. ANY advice is GREATLY appreciated. I posted this on JP forums without one single response. So I'll be asking questions here for now on.**Thanks

motoxracer801 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

All the basic XJ questions have been asked and answered, numerous times, some Google-fu will lead you to the answers you seek.

Yes, you can use coil spacer and extended shackles with any lift kit. Many lift kit leaf springs come with extended shackles and nearly all lift kit leaf springs benefit greatly when used with extend shackles. You buy buy coil spacers and shackles in different sizes, but they may not be available together as a kit, in the sizes you want.

I recommend Dog Leg shackles for XJ Cherokee, and JKS specifically. http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/me...de=Leaf_Spring

Your control arms will work, but you on pavement ride will be very harsh, and your off-road flex will be limited. With short control arms and more than 4" of lift, Control Arm Drop Brackets are very strongly recommended.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
motoxracer801
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you so much for your response. Ive been googling and cant find much on my specific questions. I found alot about the coil spacers and shackles being added with a lift. But no specifics to what acyually needs to be done when adding them.

So I need to buy two inch shackles for the rear to get my one inches of lift? Thank you again.
Unread 03-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

A 2" longer shackle adds 1" of lift. I think most shackles are described by the amount of lift they provided.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
Unread 03-24-2013, 01:48 AM   #5
motoxracer801
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, will I nedd new control arms when I do the control arm relocation brakets? Since the RC lower control arms have a bend to them?
Unread 03-24-2013, 05:05 AM   #6
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Keep in mind that you may actually get 5" from the kit (I did).
And you will need different arms when using the drop brackets (either "stock" or adjustable set to stock length).
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Depending on the dimensions of the control arms you have, you may or may not need different control arms when using drop brackets. I re-used the control arms that came with my 3.5" lift when I installed drop brackets. You will need to have at least on set of adjustable control arms to set you pinion angle and caster angle.

Unread 03-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
motoxracer801
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23 View Post
Keep in mind that you may actually get 5" from the kit (I did).
And you will need. ifferent arms when using the drop brackets (either "stock" or adjustable set to stock length).
I can use the stock control arms when I install drop brackets? They arent to short?

As for adjustable control arms. Im kinda wishy washy about those. I want to get the X-flex upgrade. Which includes upper and lower adjustable control arms. The only issue I have with them is my lack of understanding of them. Plain and simple, I dont know how to adjust and set them to the right angle. I dont want to end up tearing something up because something that looks right to me is actually way off. I do want the adjustable control arms. I just have to read up about them.
Unread 03-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxracer801 View Post
I can use the stock control arms when I install drop brackets? .
I would not, and recommend you do not either. Stock control arms are not strong enough for more than light/moderate off-road use with small lifts. Lifted XJ's should use control arms made from steel tube, not from stamped sheet steel.

control-arm-chart.jpg  

Tags
control arms , lift + spacers , shackles , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.