JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   01 Cherokee Interior Lights stuck on (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/01-cherokee-interior-lights-stuck-1083382/)

klwong1 08-05-2010 11:04 AM

01 Cherokee Interior Lights stuck on

When the keyless entry is used the interior lights come on and stay on. They only way to get them to go off is to pull the fuse or disconnect the battery. Any ideas of where to start?

klwong1 08-05-2010 11:12 AM

Okay, now they are stuck on period. I've already changed out the door jamb switches and dimmer switch. Checked the rear hatch switch too.
They stay on even when the car is started and the doors are shut. I pulled the fuse for the keyless and they shut off. Right now I just took out the dome lights until I can fix it.

Do you think its the keyless entry system? Where is that located?

Smuggled_Rice 08-05-2010 11:37 AM

Interior lights

Are you sure the headlight switch/dash light dimmer isn't turned all the way to the right?

klwong1 08-05-2010 01:14 PM

Yup, that was the first thing checked and it was not it. :(

AZ Jeff 08-05-2010 01:41 PM

Door switches complete the GROUND for the interior lights. I would bet you have a short in the wiring from the dome light to ground.

Ben 08-05-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ Jeff (Post 9910776)
Door switches complete the GROUND for the interior lights. I would bet you have a short in the wiring from the dome light to ground.

This.

The cargo light switch, and door switches, are parallel grounds. Sounds like somewhere in that loop, you have a wire that's taken a short.
Unplug the cargo light. That will isolate that part of the grounding loop at least.
It very well could be a wire crimped, in one of the soft boots, running to any one of the doors... most likely, the one that gets opened the most.

klwong1 08-06-2010 09:41 AM

Where is the keyless entry module located? I have read a couple places that it was the cause of this problem as well, but could not find where it is located.

TheNerd 08-06-2010 11:15 AM

The circuit board is located in the overhead light assy (the forward most one) if you don't have an overhead console, and in the overhead console if you do have one.

XJKyle1389 03-10-2011 06:35 PM

reviving an old thread. I have this same problem on my 1998 XJ. My dome lights are always on. If I unplug the overhead console the courtesy lights go off BUT the rear hatch and front floorboard lights remain on. I havent a clue. I DID CHECK THE DIMMER SWITCH, please dont ask if I had. All door switches have been tested, and jumpered for testing. All are OK. Your input is greatly welcomed. Thank you.

EdgarS 03-10-2011 07:54 PM

Have you checked the rear light switch? sometimes it gets stuck as if the hacth was open and makes the lights stay on.

XJKyle1389 03-14-2011 11:43 AM

checked and its off.

The time now is 02:07 AM.